[comp.sys.next] X11 on NeXT

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) (01/09/90)

Is there any program that allows me to use the NeXT as an Xwindow server ?
Where can I get it ?

thanks,
budi
--
Budi Rahardjo        | rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Electrical Eng.      | rahardj@ccm.UManitoba.CA

poser@csli.Stanford.EDU (Bill Poser) (01/10/90)

I have heard that an X11 implementation is in the works for the NEXT
machine. Can anyone shed any light on this? I am interested in the
NEXT machine, but am VERY uninterested in using Display Postscript,
partly because I don't like FORTH-like languages, and mainly because I
have substantial software written for X for which I must maintain X versions
for use on other machines. So getting a NEXT machine is contingent on
the availability of X11. That means I need fairly hard information as
to what is likely to be available when. Thanks.

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (01/11/90)

Has anybody thought about having a semi-regularly posted message for
comp.sys.next that answers common questions like this?  I'm not a next
owner (yet) so I don't feel qualified to organize it, myself.

-
John H. Osborn       * University of Texas at Austin Comp. Sci. Dept.
osborn@cs.utexas.edu * "Love your SysAdmin."

mm459504@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Michael Miller) (01/13/90)

If, in fact, the NeXT does have an x11 interpreter, and since it claims to be unix compatible, will/would an executable x11 program work on the next, or would you need to recompile the source code on a Next cube?

does anybody care? If so, prove it by responding.

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/13/90)

In article <3750@ccncsu.ColoState.EDU> mm459504@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Michael Miller) writes:
>If, in fact, the NeXT does have an x11 interpreter, and since it claims to be
>unix compatible, will/would an executable x11 program work on the next, or
>would you need to recompile the source code on a Next cube?

If you want to run the X11 application on the NeXT itself, you'd naturally
have to recompile the source and link it with the X11 client libraries.
The X11 server accepts X protocol streams from anywhere--local to the NeXT
or from client programs running on other machines.

Here's a mind-blower: at EDUCOM we were demonstrating the NeXT
prototype X server by running Microsoft Flight Simulator under DOS
running under DOS Merge running under AIX PS/2 with the DISPLAY
variable set to the NeXT machine.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (01/16/90)

dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>Here's a mind-blower: at EDUCOM we were demonstrating the NeXT
>prototype X server...

This is maddening.  Every couple of weeks, somebody inquires anxiously about
NeX11T, and there's no answer, than dyer@ursa-major nonchalantly drops this
one.  Somebody please tell me that the information's been posted and just not
making it to this computer.  Please:  Is it R3 or R4?  Is really slow or
just unacceptably slow?  Can you make it hide NeXStep?  How do the fonts
look?  How does it work?

If everybody else knows the answers, just mail me, somebody.
Tim Bray, New OED Project, U. of Waterloo, Ont., tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu

pvo3366@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (01/16/90)

In article <19823@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:

>............. Can you make it hide NeXStep?  ..............

You won't believe how unanswerable this is until you see it.

It's like standing on your front lawn and asking, "Can I make my living
room hide my house?"

It's X11 inside a NeXT window.  Cute.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (01/16/90)

In article <14903@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU>, pvo3366@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) writes:
> In article <19823@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
> >
> >............. Can you make it hide NeXStep?  ..............
> >
> It's X11 inside a NeXT window.  Cute.
>
> Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu

This is just the sort of maddening tidbit that Tim Bray mentioned.  Paul,
please, did you see the phantom?  Where?  Under what circumstances.  The
people at the X-consortium keep referring to project Athena when the NeXT
comes up.  Did you see the beast?  Tell us something.  Don't just chuckle
at our ignorance.

Steve Boker   smb@datran2.uunet.uu.net
Data Transforms, Inc.
616 Washington St.
Denver, CO 80203
(303) 832-1501

--
   Steve Boker
   smb@datran2.uunet.uu.net

pvo3366@sapphire.OCE.ORST.EDU (Paul O'Neill) (01/17/90)

In article <421@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>  Paul, please, did you see the phantom?  Where?  Under what circumstances.

Our campus rep showed us a beta demo at our last users meeting.
It's still kinda' flakey.  Some remote apps crashed 'cuz the window
server was missing some fonts.  It worked.  It was cute.  That's all I know.

Paul O'Neill                 pvo@oce.orst.edu
Coastal Imaging Lab
OSU--Oceanography
Corvallis, OR  97331         503-754-3251

olson@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Robert Olson) (01/17/90)

We had a copy of that same beta test version. It did not come with the
X libraries. I grabbed a copy of the X11R3 source and with a little trouble
(mainly in some machine dependent macros) got the libraries to build. I was
able to build all of the client code that came with the X distribution
except for the window managers (I believe there were some hacks done to
twm, which is what was included). I was also able to build a large (~80K
lines) visualization application with no problems other than the log2()
function available on Suns being not available on the NeXT. I did, however,
fall off my chair when I saw that it actually worked :-).

It seemed pretty quick, too.

Bob
Bob Olson			University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Internet: olson@cs.uiuc.edu	UUCP: {uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!olson

kaplan@m.cs.uiuc.edu (01/17/90)

Well, if the demo server is the same demo server we got, you arent missing
anything:

1.  its in a fixed 640x640 pixel window
2.  it crashes when you try do to just about anything
3.  there are no libraries to make new applications

and

4.  on Jan 1.  it said "time's up!" and doesnt work no more.

It was VERY VERY fast though, I'm looking forward to the real thing when/if
it ever appears.

Simon

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (01/17/90)

In article <61300023@m.cs.uiuc.edu> kaplan@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Well, if the demo server is the same demo server we got, you arent missing
>anything:

I disagree. I was quite happy with the demo that I saw. It ran like a
champ considering it was not complete yet.

>1.  its in a fixed 640x640 pixel window

All you need to do is run it from a shell: XNeXT -geometry 1100x820.

>2.  it crashes when you try do to just about anything

I disagree there also. I was able to run every application included except
for xcalc. I even ran applications over the network and used XNeXT just as
the display and only had one problem that was mentioned by Paul O'Neill
and that was the fact that the prelim version didn't include a complete
font set (to my knowledge, that can be a good amount of space) and the
one application asked for a font that wasn't there. Not once did I crash
it.

>3.  there are no libraries to make new applications

Yes, but it sounds like all you have to do is grab the sources from MIT
and compile away. [See one of the previous articles for how to do this.]

>4.  on Jan 1.  it said "time's up!" and doesnt work no more.

So just set the date back on your cube. Let me check what mine is here...
ah, it is now December 12th according to my cube. No problems there.

>It was VERY VERY fast though, I'm looking forward to the real thing when/if
>it ever appears.

I wouldn't say it was "VERY VERY" fast but is was quite decent and usable.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (01/18/90)

In article <19823@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
>>Here's a mind-blower: at EDUCOM we were demonstrating the NeXT
>>prototype X server...
>
>This is maddening.  Every couple of weeks, somebody inquires anxiously about
>NeX11T, and there's no answer, than dyer@ursa-major nonchalantly drops this
>one.  Somebody please tell me that the information's been posted and just not
>making it to this computer.  Please:  Is it R3 or R4?  Is really slow or
>just unacceptably slow?  Can you make it hide NeXStep?  How do the fonts
>look?  How does it work?

My response was addressing someone who didn't understand how X works.  It
wasn't intended to be a teaser.  I can't speak about its availablility or
its schedule, since I'm not involved with the NeXT project.  The Project
Athena EDUCOM demo back in October 89 was using a development version which
was a little buggy, but still quite usable.  I have no idea to what extent
it's changed over the past few months.  Back then it was R3, of course.
I'd heard that one hold-up was the availability of R4, which of course
was only made generally available to the general public (including NeXT)
two weeks or so ago.  The performance didn't seem slow to this casual
observer, but I'd hold off on making any judgements at all.  The server
runs in a NeXT Step window, which I surmise is subject to whatever constraints
any NeXT Step window has.

It would seem obvious to me that it shouldn't be surprising that MIT might
possess and demo intermediate version of this software since they're doing
the development of the software.  Why is it so shocking that it would be
demoed at EDUCOM?  If it were any other piece of software, you'd realize
that running a demo at a trade show says nothing about its status as a product,
relatively bug free and ready to ship.

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@ursa-major.spdcc.com aka {ima,harvard,rayssd,linus,m2c}!spdcc!dyer
dyer@arktouros.mit.edu, dyer@hstbme.mit.edu

wbc@moose.dartmouth.edu (Wayne B. Cripps) (03/22/91)

Is there a version of X11R4 (or 3) that runs on the NeXT?
I am especially interested in pd or free versions.
Please EMAIL me your response, as I don't read this
group regularly!

	Wayne
--

	Wayne Cripps