[comp.sys.next] Include files munged

nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (03/16/91)

	***(NeXT: Read carefuly and fix this in 2.1)***

In the process of getting smail3.1.20 running on my 2.0 cube I ran into
a problem with the include file /usr/include/dbm.h as described below.
Fortunately after fixing the dbm file and making a few small changes I
succeded and now am rid of NeXT's broken version of sendmail.  Smail
realy works well.

The line:
		datum	fetch(char *file);
must be changed to read:
		datum	fetch(datum key);
for the declaration to match the function in libdbm.a.  NeXT also botched
the declarations for the store and delete functions in the same file.  As
distributed they read:
	void	store (datum key, datum content);
	void	delete (datum key);
when in reality they return a status and should be:
	int	store (datum key, datum content);
	int	delete (datum key);
I wrote a baby test program to verify that next had not screwed up
the library and then massaged the include file to match.  Fortunately
the library code is correct.
--
Michael Galassi				| nerd@percy.rain.com
MS-DOS:  The ultimate PC virus.		| ...!tektronix!percy!nerd

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/20/91)

In article <CNH5730.91Mar16154521@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
>In article <1991Mar15.171216.1292@percy.rain.com> nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) writes:
>   [...stuff deleted...} I am rid of NeXT's broken version of sendmail.
>
>care to elaborate on just how NeXT's sendmail is broken?

     Hmmm... I don't know if sendmail itself is broken, but it *is* a bit
antiquated.  Seems to me someone recently sent me mail from their NeXT
and its sendmail was version 5.59 or some such fossil.  Go get sendmail
5.65+IDA from uunet.  That's the most current I know of.  What *is*
broken in NeXT's distribution is the sendmail.cf.  I'm sure I don't know
everything wrong with it, but one thing I've seen is that is mangles
return paths that have the form site1!site2!user@machine.school.edu.
site1 gets dropped from the return path, so replies bounce.
     For those new to UNIX, the peculiar Martian dialect in which
sendmail.cf's are written is the bane of most UNIX system programmers/
administrators.  Some tools are available in the comp.sources.unix
archives at uunet, but most of us never find the time really to figure
it out.  No Rosetta stones are available, to the best of my knowledge.

>--
>-- "just 'cause you whinin' don't mean you singin'
>    the blues."  -- the ghost of Robert Johnson

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar20.002546.22663@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>In article <CNH5730.91Mar16154521@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
>>In article <1991Mar15.171216.1292@percy.rain.com> nerd@percival.rain.com (Michael Galassi) writes:
>>   [...stuff deleted...} I am rid of NeXT's broken version of sendmail.
>>
>>care to elaborate on just how NeXT's sendmail is broken?
>
>     Hmmm... I don't know if sendmail itself is broken, but it *is* a bit
>antiquated.  Seems to me someone recently sent me mail from their NeXT
>and its sendmail was version 5.59 or some such fossil.  Go get sendmail
>5.65+IDA from uunet.

At the time I ran into the problems it was easyest to just dump sendmail
and move to smail.  Makes for better consistency within my local & wide
area networks.
>...  That's the most current I know of.  What *is*
>broken in NeXT's distribution is the sendmail.cf.

The cf files (all of them) are only usable for very specific cases and
I'm sure they work well in that context.  I operate on a heterogenous
network so have to roll my own.