[comp.sys.next] EMACS

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (11/08/90)

I've followed the instructions (done make, and put the elisp code in the
right place), and clicking the mouse doesn't seem to do anything. I Aproposed
for mouse, and there's a bunch o' stuff, so I think it's reading in the elisp
code. (I'm not too experienced with emacs. Used to use it, until I started
using Edit. Now I want to use it again).

Has anyone else had and solved this problem?

Thanks,

Dan
--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

erik@zeus.uucp (Erik Schumacher) (03/19/91)

I am trying to use EMACS on the NeXT, but the mouse does not work with it.
On the other side I am used to work with the mouse when I run EMACS
in a X- Window on a sun.  Does anyone know how to fix that problem?  Any
help will be greatly appreciated.

Erik Schumacher
University of Arizona
Optical Sciences Center
erik@zeus.opt-sci.arizona.edu

francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (03/19/91)

In article <2504@amethyst.math.arizona.edu> erik@zeus.UUCP (Erik Schumacher) writes:
>I am trying to use EMACS on the NeXT, but the mouse does not work with it.
>On the other side I am used to work with the mouse when I run EMACS
>in a X- Window on a sun.  Does anyone know how to fix that problem?  Any
>help will be greatly appreciated.

This morning I tried to compile Emacs after uncompressing  and tar
-xvf'ing it.  When I did a 'make' it choked on "can't do a make on
'usr/include/streams/error.h '  I looked in /usr/include/streams and
see that error.h does not exist. Should it?
Utilizing the mouse with emacs would
be great if I could just get it to work.  Any ideas would be
appreciated.

Rob

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/20/91)

I forgot to save a message that was posted the other day about a
program that lets the Workspace recognize emacs as the receiver of
text files. How was this done or where is the program?

Thanks a lot,

Ronald

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (03/23/91)

Since I cannot reply directly (550 decwrl.arpa!zeus!erik... Host
unknown), here is what I believe is the case with Emacs:

Rumor  has   it that communicae,  a nice   terminal  emulator with tek
emulation, can be setup so that it allows you to use the mouse.

John Myers also wrote a native Emacs frontend some  time ago.  I think
it does not work under 2.0  yet (I used  it under 1.0, and although it
had problems with some specific fonts, it was very nice), but I am not
sure.  John's interface not only supported the mouse,  but it was also
an  order  of magnitude faster  in updating  screens,  etc., than  the
terminal route  (surprise!).   Look at {sonata|nova].cc.purdue.edu for
pub/next/Emacs*.

/ivo welch
ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu