[comp.sys.next] Sound at login time

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/24/91)

In article <9118@plains.NoDak.edu> person@plains.NoDak.edu
(Brett G Person ) writes:

>Is there a way to launch a program automatically when I log
>in to the console?  I'd like to have my NeXt account play a
>sound effect when I log in.  How do I automagically do this?

While "automagic" is a common NeXT term I've never really
understood, here's how I play sound at login time.  This is
at the end of my .login file:

if { test -r /dev/console } then
   sndplay <name_of_sound_file>.snd
endif

So it plays whenever I launch a new shell.

Hope this helps.  Asking the net is how I found this out
m'self.

<> Moderate reformers always hate those who go beyond them.
<> -- J.A. Froude
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson