[comp.sys.next] sounds

gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (05/31/90)

I'm working on a game, and am having trouble with speed.

I haven't checked with the NextAnswers stuff, but I will try there too.

Do sounds slow down a program (Suck up processor time). I am using an
8mhz .snd file loaded into a Sound object.

Can I generate over the DSP and get better results.

Dan.

--
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu
UUCP: {bpa,cbmvax}!swatsun!gessel

pbiron@weber.ucsd.edu (Paul Biron) (01/13/91)

In article <AZZ^SW-@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu writes:
>One of the systems programmers here at RPI is trying out a NeXT, and was
>interested in getting some alternate sounds for it.  Is there any way to
>convert any Mac sounds (which I have...) so they'd play on the NeXT?  If not,
>is there some ftp site (or maybe CI$) where we could pick NeXT-style sounds up.
>
>(looking for alert-type sounds of a few seconds long, not recordings of Mozart
>or anything)
>
>Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
>Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY

Yes, there is.  At the NeXT archives at sonata.cc.purdue.edu and
probably cs.orst.edu.  Its called mac2snd (sorry, don't remember
which directory its in).

I've used it to convert many Mac sounds and it works just fine.

Paul Biron     garp!pbiron@keynes.ucsd.edu    (can have NeXT attachments)
SnUG/SIGHaCK        pbiron@ucsd.edu            (normal net mail)

 Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
                         --Groucho Marx

Paul Biron      pbiron@ucsd.edu        (619) 534-5758
Central University Library, Mail Code C-075-R
Social Sciences DataBase Project
University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, Ca. 92093

esht_cif@troi.cc.rochester.edu (Eran Shtiegman) (03/24/91)

Is there a way to play sounds with just a unix program, like for example
localhost>play sound.snd

thanks,
Eran

gfankhau@iiic.ethz.ch (Georg Fankhauser) (03/25/91)

yes, there is: localhost> sndplay yoursound.snd

there are also sndrecord and others....

-- gf