[comp.sys.next] Ever heard of ColorConnect?

toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Toshi Kawanishi) (03/25/91)

In the November 1990 issue of Byte, an article on the new Next
systems mentions a price-not-available device called the
ColorConnect adaptor.

This device is supposed to allow you to easily connect your own
color monitor to the color slab.

Anyone know if such a beast actually exists?  If so, what's it cost??

Please post, since this info may save $$$ for people thinking of buying
a Nextstation Color.

/toshi	(toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar25.071042.5998@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu writes:

>In the November 1990 issue of Byte, an article on the new Next
>systems mentions a price-not-available device called the
>ColorConnect adaptor.
>
>This device is supposed to allow you to easily connect your own
>color monitor to the color slab.
>
>Anyone know if such a beast actually exists?  If so, what's it cost??
>
>Please post, since this info may save $$$ for people thinking of buying
>a Nextstation Color.
>
>/toshi	(toshi@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu)

  I believe that's what the SoundBox was called back when--you get one with
your color computer if you order the right configuration; otherwise it's
around $125 retail, $88 developer price. That way you can forgo the NeXT
monitor and get one of your own (68kHz I believe is the required scan rate)
and just plug it in! (Yeah, right.)

  While I'm posting, has anyone heard anything about release 2.0 being
made available on CD-ROM? That would conceivably make my backup options
a lot less expensive. Especially if you could boot from it--it'd be slow as
hell, but then the only reason I'd do it would be to rebuild a crashed HD;
I've had crashes happen in the past and lost 1/3 of my files...I really don't
want a repeat but can't afford any of the more expensive options, and from
what I hear 2.0 on floppies isn't available (and would be even more of a
hassle than BuildDisk from CD-ROM!).

  Have fun with your colorstation

  Nik

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu  | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow)  | I promise!"--me               |