[net.auto] Anybody heard of a TVR?

jk@duke.UUCP (J. D. Knott) (01/08/86)

A local "British" auto dealer (dealing in classic and semi-classic
British automobiles) has 73 a TVR ?? for sale.  It is a good looking
car (reminiscent of a Saab Sonnet) and the ad claims that only 21
were brought into the US.  He seems to be having trouble selling
the car since it has been on his lot for at least six months and is
now being "discounted".
  Has anyone ever heard of this car and if so, what can you tell
me about it?  Any information would be appreciated since the mystery
only makes the car more attractive.  If there is sufficient response,
I will summarize to the net.  Thanks

Misdemeanor?  Hell, I hardly even know her!

phil@isieng.UUCP (Phil Gustafson) (01/08/86)

In article <6758@duke.UUCP> jk@duke.UUCP (J. D. Knott) writes:
>A local "British" auto dealer (dealing in classic and semi-classic
>British automobiles) has 73 a TVR ?? for sale.  It is a good looking
>car (reminiscent of a Saab Sonnet) and the ad claims that only 21
>were brought into the US.

TVR have been making low-production sports cars for at least 20 years.
In the early 60's they exported the "Griffith", a toady-looking fastback
with a Ford V-8 that was faster than a Cobra in a straight line, but even
worse handling.  They currently export a very sophisticated coupe and
roadster called the Tasmin.

The pleasures involved in owning a '73 TVR will be:

	Having people ask what it is.

	Telling them.

	Going helplessly from junkyard to junkyard trying to find parts
	that will more or less fit.

	phil

jlw@ariel.UUCP (J.WOOD) (01/09/86)

> In article <6758@duke.UUCP> jk@duke.UUCP (J. D. Knott) writes:
> >A local "British" auto dealer (dealing in classic and semi-classic
> >British automobiles) has 73 a TVR ?? for sale.  It is a good looking
> >car (reminiscent of a Saab Sonnet) and the ad claims that only 21
> >were brought into the US.
>
> TVR have been making low-production sports cars for at least 20 years.
> In the early 60's they exported the "Griffith", a toady-looking fastback
> with a Ford V-8 that was faster than a Cobra in a straight line, but even
> worse handling.  They currently export a very sophisticated coupe and
> roadster called the Tasmin.
>
> The pleasures involved in owning a '73 TVR will be:
>
> 	Having people ask what it is.
>
> 	Telling them.
>
> 	Going helplessly from junkyard to junkyard trying to find parts
> 	that will more or less fit.
>
> 	phil

Actually TVR  running gear is mostly Triumph.
Earlier versions such as the Griffith used
TR3, TR4, and TR4A suspensions and the Tasmin
uses the TR7.

					Joseph L. Wood, III
					AT&T Information Systems
					Laboratories, Middletown