[comp.sys.next] 400 MB Drive Problems, Cont'd

pflikk@wam.umd.edu (Paul Glen Flikkema) (03/25/91)

NeXT, my patience is long, but not without limit...

Summary

If you get a defective computer from NeXT, they may not fix it.

The Story

Five months after placing my order, my 400 MB NeXTstation arrived
February 19.  When I powered it up, I immediately noticed a whining
noise which was later determined to be the hard disk.  I found it
ear-piercing and have no doubt as to its short-term effect of
headache and irritation, and possible long-term hearing loss.

When I showed it to them, the folks at the UMD Computer Emporium
(where I purchased it) agreed and sent it back to the NeXT factory
for a replacement, which had the SAME problem.  So they sent it back
again (third time's a charm?) but it had, again, the SAME problem.
No wonder: the Emporium determined that IT WAS NEVER REPLACED; it was
returned with the original defective unit both times.  Furthermore, NeXT
asserted that the drive was "within industry specifications".  So the
Computer Emporium and the local NeXT rep (Northern Virginia)
undertook to order another drive, since NeXT stonewalled a swap for a
non-defective unit. On March 21, I received word that I'd have to
wait three weeks for my replacement drive because of a factory
backlog. Yes, ANOTHER three weeks, after placing my order Sept.
25, and receiving my defective unit Feb. 19.  I find it hard to
believe that one who placed an order so early could be so continually
snubbed, and wonder about NeXT's desire to stand behind their
product.  I find it even harder to believe the factory's treatment of
the local marketing and sales people, forcing them to eat a bad hard
drive.  (I must say that treatment by the local reps is the one
bright aspect of this whole fiasco.  NeXT is lucky that SOMEONE is
interested in happy customers.)