[net.followup] microwave ovens harmful?

keith@uiucme.uiucme (09/24/85)

Microwave ovens are basically safe.  No dependable association of
microwave oven use to sterility has been found.

Microwave ovens have been known to cause pacemakers
(heart rate controls) to speed up, slow down, or stop altogether.
That's a function of interfering with the sensors in the
pacemaker.

Here's a simple test:  Buy yourself a cheap little RF power meter -
some places sell them especially for checking microwave ovens -
and check the periphery of the door - where it seals - for higher
levels than other areas.  If the meter shows substantially different
readings around the door, then it doesn't fit and seal properly and
should be repaired.  Make sure there is a bowl of water inside the
oven while you run it.

N.B.  What causes sterility?  Physical dysfunction and incorrect genetic
behavior in the testes.  Microwave energy works by exciting the water
molecules, making them wiggle harder, warming what is around them.
I don't see how that could cause either aspect of sterility.  Although
a good dose of microwaves - say from a radar unit - is perfectly capable
of steaming your brain up.

:r .signature
Keith
U of Ill Mech Eng
uiucdcs!uiucme!keith

lanoitnetninu ylerup si daed ro gnivil nosrep yna ot ecnalbmeseR

"A little unforseen circumstance"    - Florry Knox

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (09/24/85)

If you have a fairly recent oven, and treat it right (ie, don't
bounce it off the floor), then your fears are baseless.  There
are strict standards regarding microwave leaks, and I have never
heard of anyone becoming sterile as a result of a microwave oven.
As for a microwave's treatment of food, it is actually better than
a convection oven: there is much less (if any) nutrient loss with
microwave cooking.  All in all, these stories persist because
there are people out there who are afraid of anything that is
new or is said to be "radioactive."  Just ignore them and enjoy
your oven.

bjc@drutx.UUCP (CampbellBJ) (09/25/85)

Whew!  I was so glad that someone wrote in to say that microwave
ovens are better than conventional ovens in leaving the nutrients
in my food.  Now I can enjoy my TV dinners with complete peace
of mind!

Disclaimer here.
becky

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/02/85)

In article <7300003@uiucdcsp> ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU writes:
>As for a microwave's treatment of food, it is actually better than
>a convection oven: there is much less (if any) nutrient loss with
>microwave cooking...

Microwave ovens tend to heat things very unevenly because things are cooked
for such a short length of time.  In a normal oven the heat is distributed
within the food by the normal mechanism, but in a microwave oven when cooking
something for short periods of time this equalization cannot take place.
Therefore there is a tendency for the same piece of food to be both overdone
and underdone in bits.

(apologies if this is too far off the original topic...)

prbonneau@watrose.UUCP (prbonneau) (10/03/85)

[Out vile jelly!]
> Microwave ovens tend to heat things very unevenly because things are cooked
> for such a short length of time.  In a normal oven the heat is distributed
> within the food by the normal mechanism, but in a microwave oven when cooking
> something for short periods of time this equalization cannot take place.
> Therefore there is a tendency for the same piece of food to be both overdone
> and underdone in bits.

I only got into this discussion in the middle, but microwave cooking is MORE
even than conventional ovens.  In a normal oven, where heating of the food is
due to low frequency irradiation (which does not penetrate the food) and hot
air convection (which heats the outside of the food) the cooking proceeds from
outside to inside.

In a microwave oven,  microwaves penetrate the food, and it is cooked
everywhere at once.  This produces a much more homogenous level of "cookedness"
throughout whatever is being cooked.

The only reason that the food is cooked for a short time is that it's a lot
faster to cook your food all at once, instead of from the outside-in.
-----
I'm a man!  I'm not a horse!		..!watmath!watrose!prbonneau
					Paul Bonneau.