[comp.sys.next] NeXTWorld Issue 2?

ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) (03/16/91)

I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...

Can anyone confirm its existence?

As a subscriber -- I would have thought that I would be
among the first to know...

Perhaps the NeXTWorld publishers are using the same distribution
policy that NeXT employed with '040 upgrades -- newcomers served
first.  Perhaps this is representative of a new idea for customer
service -- instead of "how to win customers for life" its "how
to piss off old customers but its ok because we have a monopoly"
Lots of :-)

Ted Shelton
ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (03/17/91)

ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) writes:
>I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>Can anyone confirm its existence?

I saw some copies at a press conference sponsored by Insignia Software,
makers of SoftPC (the issue includes a review of the product).

--L

--
langz@asylum.sf.ca.us         "Karma means `getting caught.'  The secret to
not creating karma is getting even without getting caught." --Rodent Kapoor

cs191057@cs.brown.edu (Heng-Yi Lin) (03/17/91)

In article <ems.669078671@gsbsun> ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) writes:
>I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>Can anyone confirm its existence?

Yes it exists.  I received my copy yesterday.  I don't think they are
operating LIFO though.  I got the first issue free and sent in my
subscription payment two months ago.

Some topics in the new issue-

  o comparison of the IIfx, NeXTcube, and SPARCstation 2
  o an interview with Alvin and Heidi Toffler
  o Profile: Adobe on Display
  o Profile: The Star System at William Morris Agency

Enjoy!

__Heng-Yi Lin___________________________________
Brown University Class of 1992 CompSci/Economics
cs191057@cs.brown.edu st702478@brownvm.brown.edu
POB 4901, Brown University, Providence, RI 02912

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (03/17/91)

/ comp.sys.next / ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) / Mar 15, 1991 /
> I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>
> Can anyone confirm its existence?

Got it in the mail yesterday.  It's going back as "RETURN: NOT ORDERED".  I
have not subscribed, despite what the illiterates at their circulation
department think.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) (03/17/91)

cs191057@cs.brown.edu (Heng-Yi Lin) writes:

>Yes it exists.	I received my copy yesterday.

Thank you for your response --coincidentally I just received my copy
in the mail.  "Ask and ye shall receive..."

I would like to mention that I find NeXTWorld an exciting window into
what NeXT advocates are up to -- Bravo to Integrated Media, Inc. for
bringing us this journal -- I read it cover to cover.

Ted Shelton

ems@gsbsun.uchicago.edu

sxrmh1@acad3.alaska.edu (03/21/91)

> / comp.sys.next / ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) / Mar 15, 1991 /
>> I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>>
>> Can anyone confirm its existence?
>
> Got it in the mail yesterday.  It's going back as "RETURN: NOT ORDERED".  I
> have not subscribed, despite what the illiterates at their circulation
> department think.
>
> Jacob
> --
> Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

postcard in November, now after numerous phone calls (and receipt of a couple
of bills) still nothing.....

signed
pissed off up north, and not getting any happier about it.

(actually RMHayman, University of Alaska - Fairbanks, sxrmh1@acad3.alaska.edu)

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (03/21/91)

In article <130171@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>Got it in the mail yesterday.  It's going back as "RETURN: NOT ORDERED".  I
>have not subscribed, despite what the illiterates at their circulation
>department think.

Um, it seems to me that the card I got with my new 040
cube and the one I got with the 040 upgrade kit for my
030 cube said "free *subscription* to NeXTWorld."  Nothing
has ever arrived, but I assume when it does I won't be
billed for it.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (03/21/91)

/ comp.sys.next / anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) / Mar 20, 1991 /
> Um, it seems to me that the card I got with my new 040
> cube and the one I got with the 040 upgrade kit for my
> 030 cube said "free *subscription* to NeXTWorld."

That's what I recall too.  I'm trying to find another copy of that card, to
see if there was some fine print that I missed.

> Nothing has ever arrived, but I assume when it does I won't be billed for
> it.

Expect to get your first bill before you get your first issue.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (03/21/91)

In article <130172@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:

>That's what I recall too.  I'm trying to find another copy of that card, to
>see if there was some fine print that I missed.

In the stuff that came with my slab, the "RSVP" folder thing clearly says:

	"NeXTWORLD Magazine.  Receive a free subscription to NeXTWORLD --
	the first magazine published exclusively for the NEXT Generation.
	Besides in-depth articles about the latest hardware.... "

I no longer have the card that used to be attached to it, but if it
says something different tha the text, then NeXT is pulling a real slimely
move.

louie

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/21/91)

In article <130171@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>/ comp.sys.next / ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) / Mar 15, 1991 /
>> I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>>
>> Can anyone confirm its existence?

I got mine Monday.

>Got it in the mail yesterday.  It's going back as "RETURN: NOT ORDERED".  I
                                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you get something in US mail that is addressed to you that you didn't
order it is a gift by law.  It was sent to you, you didn't order it.
Sounds like a gift to me also.  The US mail did this because they didn't
want companies sending unsolicited material then billing people for the
stuff.  So think of what you got as a gift abd report any bills to the
friendly people at the postal inspectors office.

>have not subscribed, despite what the illiterates at their circulation
>department think.
>
>Jacob
>--
>Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (03/21/91)

In article <130171@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>/ comp.sys.next / ems@uchicago (Ted Shelton) / Mar 15, 1991 /
>> I have seen mention of a March/April issue of NeXTWorld...
>>
>> Can anyone confirm its existence?
>
>Got it in the mail yesterday.  It's going back as "RETURN: NOT ORDERED".  I
>have not subscribed, despite what the illiterates at their circulation
>department think.

If you bought a new '040 machine or upgraded to '040, you're automatically a
NeXTWorld subcriber for 6 months (3 issues) at no cost, so maybe the
circulation department isn't as illiterate as you imagine (I'm assuming that
you've upgraded, Jacob, but I could be wrong, of course).
--
                                          _____   ____
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (03/24/91)

/ comp.sys.next / isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) / Mar 21, 1991 /
> If you bought a new '040 machine or upgraded to '040, you're automatically a
> NeXTWorld subcriber for 6 months (3 issues) at no cost,

Ah, so that's what "free subscription" means.

> so maybe the
> circulation department isn't as illiterate as you imagine

Before I got the first issue, I got an invoce.  Right after I got the first
issue, I got the second invoice, and it read "If you received your first
issue, this money is due NOW" (quoting from memory).  Before the second
issue arrived, I got the third invoice.  If they are not illiterate, the
word "free" means something very different to them than the 15 definitions
that the 2.0 Webster reports.

> (I'm assuming that
> you've upgraded, Jacob, but I could be wrong, of course).

Your assumption is correct.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

ahouse@BINAH.CC.BRANDEIS.EDU (Jeremy Ahouse) (03/26/91)

>postcard in November, now after numerous phone calls (and receipt of a couple
>of bills) still nothing.....

Well I got a subscription, I ordered one from the number for MacWorld sub's in
MacWorld Mag.  Same operators I guess.  They told me 6 - 8 weeks.  So i bought
issue 1 at the news-stand and sure enough issue 1 arrived 2 weeks later.  Oh
well.

Then last week I got a call from a consulting firm in CA that asked me to tell
them all kinds of things about how I liked it, how much I had read, would I
like more technical content (Yes!) longer articles, shorter articles...

-- Jeremy