[comp.sys.next] Sources to NeXT's Gnu C

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (03/26/91)

Does anyone know how I can get sources to NeXT's implementation of Gnu
CC, preferably via anonymous ftp?   I am particularly   interested  in
replacing  some of the C  library routines with  edited versions, so I
would like to start out   with the original versions  (and  preferably
with instructions as to where  the run-time linked library sources are
supposed to sit in and how to replace them).

/ivo

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (03/26/91)

In article <835@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>Does anyone know how I can get sources to NeXT's implementation of Gnu
>CC, preferably via anonymous ftp?   I am particularly   interested  in
>replacing  some of the C  library routines with  edited versions, so I
>would like to start out   with the original versions  (and  preferably
>with instructions as to where  the run-time linked library sources are
>supposed to sit in and how to replace them).
>
>/ivo

  From the Fall 1990 Registered Developers Price List:
   NeXT 2.0 GNU Source Code on Floppy Disks   part # N5514
   $150 List, $105 Developer Price

  I don't know if it's available by other means. (And hey, you can get the
Mach source for a mere $10,000 either way! Wotta deal! ;-)

  Nik

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

oneill@fornax.UUCP (Richard Oneill) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar26.043146.13521@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>In article <835@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>>Does anyone know how I can get sources to NeXT's implementation of Gnu
>>CC, preferably via anonymous ftp? ...
>
>  From the Fall 1990 Registered Developers Price List:
>   NeXT 2.0 GNU Source Code on Floppy Disks   part # N5514
>   $150 List, $105 Developer Price
>
>  I don't know if it's available by other means. (And hey, you can get the
>Mach source for a mere $10,000 either way! Wotta deal! ;-)
>
>  Nik

I thought cc, cc++, ld and as were derived from Gnu sources, and as such they
should (as far as I understand) come under the Gnu copyleft, i.e. they
and their sources should be freely distributable.

The Gnu copyleft says that NeXT '... may charge a distribution fee
for the physical act of transferring a copy ...' but $150 for a few disks
of 'free software' - this seems a bit steep to me.

I'm surprised that noone has put these 'free' sources on nova.cs.purdue.edu
or cs.orst.edu. Is it that after parting with $150, no one is willing to
share...? Or is it another 'virtual product' ?

	Richard.

P.S.
Does anyone know if NeXT is going to upgrade its compilers etc to reflect
the changes made in later Gnu versions, or are the NeXT ones frozen in time?

--
Composing a suitably apt and witty .signature is left | oneill@fornax.UUCP
as an exercise for the reader.                        | oneill@cs.sfu.ca

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/26/91)

In article <1991Mar26.043146.13521@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>  I don't know if it's available by other means. (And hey, you can get the
>Mach source for a mere $10,000 either way! Wotta deal! ;-)

Well, thank you for using AT&T!
Don't blame NeXT for this price tag.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (03/27/91)

In article <69824@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <1991Mar26.043146.13521@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>>  I don't know if it's available by other means. (And hey, you can get the
>>Mach source for a mere $10,000 either way! Wotta deal! ;-)
>
>Well, thank you for using AT&T!
>Don't blame NeXT for this price tag.
>
>Ronald

  Hey, no slam against NeXT intended (notice the ;-). Heck, I *worship*
the roads those slabs and cubes travel on their way to customers.... I
know *I* couldn't afford that price tag, though.
  How does AT&T come into this? I thought it was just the source for
Mach, not all of UNIX--and isn't Mach by CMU?

--

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (03/27/91)

In article <835@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
   Does anyone know how I can get sources to NeXT's implementation of Gnu
   CC, preferably via anonymous ftp?   I am particularly   interested  in
   replacing  some of the C  library routines with  edited versions, so I
   would like to start out   with the original versions  (and  preferably
   with instructions as to where  the run-time linked library sources are
   supposed to sit in and how to replace them).

Well, the 1.0 cc and other GNU stuff was availiable, and presumably the
2.0 stuff will be, too.  They have to.

But, this won't help with the library routines.  All you get is the
compiler itself.  Not even the standard c libraries are included.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar26.192636.6482@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>In article <69824@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar26.043146.13521@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:
>>>  I don't know if it's available by other means. (And hey, you can get the
>>>Mach source for a mere $10,000 either way! Wotta deal! ;-)
>>  [text deleted --SJB]
>>Ronald
>
>   [more deleted --SJB]
>  How does AT&T come into this? I thought it was just the source for
>Mach, not all of UNIX--and isn't Mach by CMU?

     To get MACH source, you need a 4.3BSD source license from U.C.
Berkeley.  To get a 4.3BSD source license, you need a System 32/V,
or more recent, source license from AT&T.
     This seems a good example of the kind of question that should be
dealt with in comp.unix.questions, not here.  People new to UNIX and
people who are UNIX users, but not UNIX systems programmers/adminis-
trators, really should be paying attention to comp.unix.questions.
They might also find the book of UNIX {trivia, history, practical
info} (sorry, I can't seem to recall the title and the book is at home)
by Don Libes and Sandy Ressler to be a worthwhile addition to their
library.
>--
>/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
>| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |
>|                                             |                               |
>| **When all else fails, bug someone who      | "Just say an iguana chewed    |
>\   knows (not me!).                          | up your textbook."--Jason Fox /

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar27.015910.8369@mp.cs.niu.edu>, bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>      This seems a good example of the kind of question that should be
> dealt with in comp.unix.questions, not here.  People new to UNIX and
> people who are UNIX users, but not UNIX systems programmers/adminis-
> trators, really should be paying attention to comp.unix.questions.
> They might also find the book of UNIX {trivia, history, practical
> info} (sorry, I can't seem to recall the title and the book is at home)
> by Don Libes and Sandy Ressler to be a worthwhile addition to their
> library.

Is the book by Don Libes and Sandy Ressler you are refering to called "Life
with UNIX"?  Its ISBN number is 0-13-536657-7.  It is a really good book.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

fischer@iesd.auc.dk (Lars P. Fischer) (03/28/91)

Nik>   From the Fall 1990 Registered Developers Price List:
Nik>    NeXT 2.0 GNU Source Code on Floppy Disks   part # N5514
Nik>    $150 List, $105 Developer Price

OK, so NeXT won't put this on FTP, but since the software is under the
GNU license, those that have a copy a free to share. Anyone with a
copy feel like making it available for FTP?

Anyway, since NeXT have given their modifications and Obj-C
implementation back to the FSF, it will all show up in GCC 2.0. This
is really a nice move by NeXT, and it could prove to be a nice move
for Obj-C, too.

/Lars
--
Lars Fischer,  fischer@iesd.auc.dk   |Erst kommt das Fressen, dann die Moral
CS Dept., Univ. of Aalborg, DENMARK. |		- B. Brecht