[net.auto] Chapman Locks

dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) (01/09/86)

-
	I've just bought a new car with a dealer installed Chapman
	lock. (You know, the kind that cuts off the gas flow to the
	engine and locks the hood down so that even if you get into
	the car you can't pop the hood)

	My question is this: what kind of protection can I expect
	from this type of device??? What kind of alarm system would
	best complement this type of device???

	If enough folks are interested I'll summarize to the net....

	Thanx.

      allegra\					       Dave Bloom
      harvard \ pyramid\
       seismo  \  pyrnj >!andromeda!dave         HOME: (201) 868-1764
     ut-sally   >!topaz/			 WORK: (201) 648-5083
       sri-iu  /
ihnp4!packard /		           "You're never alone with a schizophrenic...."

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (01/10/86)

In article <58@andromeda.UUCP> dave@andromeda.UUCP (Dave Bloom) writes:
>-
>	I've just bought a new car with a dealer installed Chapman
>	lock. (You know, the kind that cuts off the gas flow to the
>	engine and locks the hood down so that even if you get into
>	the car you can't pop the hood)
>
>	My question is this: what kind of protection can I expect
>	from this type of device??? What kind of alarm system would
>	best complement this type of device???

Regardless of what usually befalls the bearer of bad tidings, I shall speak.

I bought an 84 Scirocco a few months back.  The previous owner had already
installed a Chapman.

One fine day in Harvard Square the keylock on the Chapman wouldn't unlock,
causing my nifty alarm to howl at >95db.  Since the ignition was also grounded,
my car wouldn't start either.  After unscrewing 2 phillips heads that hold the
keylock in place, I noted two exposed wires.  Cutting both wires stopped the
siren and allowed the car to start.  Total time to disable the Chapman: 20
seconds.

So, your Chapman will probably stop a teenager looking for a joyride, but the
professional can have your car if he wants it.
--
John Allred
General Computer Company

"Oh, you'll probably get away with crucifixion."
"CRUCIFIXION??"
"Yeah, first offense."