[comp.sys.next] external hard disks and automounter

jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) (03/28/91)

I discovered an interesting problem last night, and I haven't seen it
mentioned anywhere (though my search hasn't been exhaustive), so I thought I'd
mention it here:

The situation:  New external Fujitsu M2263S, named ExternalDisk, internal
105MB Quantum.
Internal drive is mounted as /, because I could not find anyone with 2.1 to
do a builddisk on the Fujitsu, Fujitsu mounted as /ExternalDisk.

If I let automounter do the mounting, and log in as root, everything is
hunky-dory.  I have the Users directory on the Fujitsu, and a sym-link from
/Users to /ExternalDisk/Users.  When I log in as som normal user, everything is
ok until I try and
ok until I try and log out, at which point I get a "can't eject some disk"
message.  I click ok, and it logs me out.  Now, when another user logs in,
every file on the external disk is listed as having the first user as owner,
so the second user can't write in any of her own directories.

However, if I put the appropriate entry in fstab, so the automounter doesn't
get a chance to mess me up, everything works as expected.  Has anyone else
encountered this?  Does it sey somewhere in the docs that I should have been
doing this all along?

	Just thought I'd mention it...

		John Feiler

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.212410.8118@nntp-server.caltech.edu> jjfeiler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (John Jay Feiler) writes:
>I discovered an interesting problem last night, and I haven't seen it
>mentioned anywhere (though my search hasn't been exhaustive), so I thought I'd
>mention it here:
>
>The situation:  New external Fujitsu M2263S, named ExternalDisk, internal
>105MB Quantum.
>Internal drive is mounted as /, because I could not find anyone with 2.1 to
>do a builddisk on the Fujitsu, Fujitsu mounted as /ExternalDisk.
>
>If I let automounter do the mounting, and log in as root, everything is
>hunky-dory.  I have the Users directory on the Fujitsu, and a sym-link from

     That is the wrong way to do it and...

>/Users to /ExternalDisk/Users.  When I log in as som normal user, everything is
>ok until I try and
>ok until I try and log out, at which point I get a "can't eject some disk"
>message.  I click ok, and it logs me out.  Now, when another user logs in,
>every file on the external disk is listed as having the first user as owner,
>so the second user can't write in any of her own directories.
>
>However, if I put the appropriate entry in fstab, so the automounter doesn't
>get a chance to mess me up, everything works as expected.  Has anyone else
>encountered this?  Does it sey somewhere in the docs that I should have been
>doing this all along?

      ...this is the right way to do it.  See the man pages for fstab(5)
and mount(8).  The automounter is for floppies and OD's that the current
user wants to use during h{is,er} session.  For file systems that are
permanently mounted, you should use an fstab entry.  Although I haven't
tried it, I would suspect that the automounter would be quite useless
for a device that had more than one partition.

>	Just thought I'd mention it...

     Sorry, but this one really was an RTFM question. :-)

>		John Feiler

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *