[comp.sys.next] Terminal Connection to NeXT

lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) (03/28/91)

I have successfully connected a terminal (well, a pc with emulation)
to my NeXT box.

Here are the steps to take if your interested:

1.  Acquire an "MAC+ to Imagewriter" 8pin -> db25 cable.
2.  Plug cable into "A" port of NeXT and dbminal.
3.  Log in as root of NeXT and:
	a.  Turn "on" the "ttya" port and select proper
            terminal type (in "/etc/ttys" file).
	b.  Make whatever corrections to "/etc/gettytab"
            are necessary.
4.  Power off/on system (actually init -1 1 might work).
5.  Have fun with your terminal.

Good luck!
Lance Bledsoe

--
Lance Bledsoe                       Off:    (512) 343-1111
Pencom Software, Inc.               Fax     (512) 343-9650

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/28/91)

Lance Bledsoe guesses about an alternative to rebooting after changes
to /etc/ttys:

>> 4.  Power off/on system (actually init -1 1 might work).

The command "kill -HUP 1" (as superuser) tells init (always process #1)
to reread the /etc/ttys file.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (03/29/91)

In article <3367@pensoft.UUCP> lwb@pensoft.UUCP (Lance Bledsoe) writes:
>I have successfully connected a terminal (well, a pc with emulation)
>to my NeXT box.
>
>Here are the steps to take if your interested:

Thanks. here are a few refinements.

>1.  Acquire an "MAC+ to Imagewriter" 8pin -> db25 cable.
>2.  Plug cable into "A" port of NeXT and terminal.

At least on a wyse, plug it into the port labeled "modem",
not the one labeled "Aux" (which is for a printer).

Also, be sure your terminal is setup to communicate at 9600 baud
(use the <shift>-<setup> to change this on a wyse)

>3.  Log in as root of NeXT and:
>	a.  Turn "on" the "ttya" port and select proper
>            terminal type (in "/etc/ttys" file).

Again, be sure the baud rate in the /etc/ttys entry matches the
rate the terminal is set for.

>	b.  Make whatever corrections to "/etc/gettytab"
>            are necessary.

none are necessary if you use 9600 baud---the default handles this.

>4.  Power off/on system (actually init -1 1 might work).

init -1 1 does _not_ work (it just hung). Power off/on instead.

>5.  Have fun with your terminal.

I am---now i've got my own little network at home!

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math