[comp.sys.next] Bizzarre problems...

kwerle@bonnie.ics.uci.edu (Werle) (03/29/91)

OK, two quick questions:
1. Why can I (user 'kurt') use /dev/cub through tip, but not kermit?  If
I su, I can use kermit, and user 'me' can use either with no problem.  I
am in plenty of groups.  I used to be able to use kermit until I moved
the system onto my external and did some 'user rebuilding'.  Anyone know?
BTW, kermit tells me:
/dev/cub: Permission denied
Sorry, can't open line: Permission denied

2. Why can I not find patch?  Does the 2.0 extended release REALLY not have
it?  If it's under a differant name, someone please tell me what name that
is.  If not, please let me know where I can ftp it from.

Thanks,
Kurt

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (03/29/91)

In article <27F2ABC0.25099@ics.uci.edu> kwerle@ics.uci.edu (Werle) writes:
>OK, two quick questions:
>1. Why can I (user 'kurt') use /dev/cub through tip, but not kermit?  If
>I su, I can use kermit, and user 'me' can use either with no problem.  I
>am in plenty of groups.  I used to be able to use kermit until I moved
>the system onto my external and did some 'user rebuilding'.  Anyone know?
>BTW, kermit tells me:
>/dev/cub: Permission denied
>Sorry, can't open line: Permission denied

     This was answered a few days ago.  If I recall correctly, someone
said to change the owner of kermit to uucp and turn on its suid bit.
I.e. % su
     Password:  [enter your root password here]
     # chown uucp /usr/local/bin/kermit  [or wherever you put it]
     # chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/kermit   [or wherever you put it]
     # exit
     %
N.B.  It was also pointed that the above solution is *UNSAFE* to use
with versions of kermit earlier than 5a.165 because the older versions
do not safeguard the use of an suid situation.

>2. Why can I not find patch?  Does the 2.0 extended release REALLY not have
>it?  If it's under a differant name, someone please tell me what name that
>is.  If not, please let me know where I can ftp it from.

     I've never seen a version of UNIX that *did* come with patch, which
was written by Larry Wall and is available from the comp.sources.unix
archives at uunet.uu.net.  BTW, for those new to UNIX, Larry Wall's
patch program is a *priceless* (literally:-) and absolutely *indispensable*
tool for maintaining source code in UNIX systems.  Even U.C. Berkeley
distributes the majority of the BSD bug fixes as diff files for input
to patch.  If you don't have it, *GET IT*.  If you can't get it yourself,
have someone else get it and send it to you.  You will *need* it sooner
or later unless, of course, you have deep-seated masochistic tendencies
that drive you to applying diffs by hand...  :-)  You'll also enjoy
watching Larry's Configure sh script as it figures out what your system
can and can't do so it can slap together a version of patch that will
actually work on your version of UNIX.  (It mumbles to itself, just
like any other programmer. :-)

>Thanks,
>Kurt

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/29/91)

Scott Bennett says:

>> It was also pointed that the above solution is *UNSAFE* to use
>> with versions of kermit earlier than 5a.165 because the older versions
>> do not safeguard the use of an suid situation.

Actually, any 5A is ok.  It's the 4E's and 4F's you have to watch out
for.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu