[comp.sys.next] No Documentation

dhg@sinix.UUCP (David Griffith) (03/27/91)

Apparantly Steve Jobs is fond of glancing at people's products and
pronouncing "That's shit!". Well can I be the first to complain
that the online technical documentation supplied with 2.0 is shit?

I'm surprised no-one has pointed this out before, but there is NO
introductory developers documentation supplied with the system. So
here I am with my nice shiny new cube and state-of-the-art software
tools (NeXTStep, Interface Builder, Objective C, DSP) and I don't
know how to use it! What documentation there is is very low level.

Apparantly NeXT do have printed technical documentation in the
pipeline but it's not available yet and no-one knows when it will be.

So come on NeXT, pull your finger out. This is an appalling
omission in an otherwise excellent product.

Dave Griffiths

wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (William L Nussbaum) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.104146.12808@sinix.UUCP> dhg@sinix.UUCP (David Griffith) writes:

>I'm surprised no-one has pointed this out before, but there is NO
>introductory developers documentation supplied with the system. So
>here I am with my nice shiny new cube and state-of-the-art software
>tools (NeXTStep, Interface Builder, Objective C, DSP) and I don't
>know how to use it! What documentation there is is very low level.
>
>Apparantly NeXT do have printed technical documentation in the
>pipeline but it's not available yet and no-one knows when it will be.

NeXT received its copies of the technical documentation ($95 a set) about
a week or two ago.  IThey said, however, when I called the 800848NeXT number,
that it would take about three months for all the currently backordered
sets of manuals to reach the people who bought them.  This includes the
"Concepts" manuals that are missing from the on-line distribution.

| William Lee Nussbaum, Jr.
| CI$:      72401.3554@compuserve.com
| WELL:     wlnjr@well.sf.ca.us
| InterNet: wln@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (03/29/91)

I noticed that the "Concepts" documentations is available on
sonata.cc.purdue.edu in the /pub/next/docs directory, along with a new
set of Next Answers.  This might be a big help to those that don't have the
1.0 docs available to them.

louie

squirk@pedsga.UUCP (Steve Quirk <squirk>) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.104146.12808@sinix.UUCP> dhg@sinix.UUCP (David Griffith) writes:
> ...........[ valid complaints about lacking documentation deleted....]
>So come on NeXT, pull your finger out. This is an appalling
                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gee, my uncle would always pull this gag on me;  "Pull my finger", he would
say.  And when I did, he would...,  oh, nevermind.

:-) :-)

Steve Quirk
Concurrent Computer Corp
(908)758-7207

dennisg@kgw2.bwi.WEC.COM (Dennis Glatting) (03/29/91)

In article <1991Mar27.104146.12808@sinix.UUCP>, dhg@sinix.UUCP (David Griffith) writes:
|> Apparantly Steve Jobs is fond of glancing at people's products and
|> pronouncing "That's shit!". Well can I be the first to complain
|> that the online technical documentation supplied with 2.0 is shit?
|>
|> I'm surprised no-one has pointed this out before, but there is NO
|> introductory developers documentation supplied with the system. So
|> here I am with my nice shiny new cube and state-of-the-art software
|> tools (NeXTStep, Interface Builder, Objective C, DSP) and I don't
|> know how to use it! What documentation there is is very low level.
|>
|> Apparantly NeXT do have printed technical documentation in the
|> pipeline but it's not available yet and no-one knows when it will be.
|>
|> So come on NeXT, pull your finger out. This is an appalling
|> omission in an otherwise excellent product.

calm down.

I and my team have been writing software for NeXTs for 18 months.
It is true that there should be a 2.0 concepts manual readily
available but there is not.  the 1.0 stuff gives one a good
starting point and probably covers much of the stuff in 2.0.

i've found excellent documentation on-line.  for example the appkit,
zones, and others.

certainly the lack of docs is stiffling but, being a developer that
uses leading edge technology, i have encountered this problem with
other products as well but it rarely stops me.

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | X2NeXT developer