[comp.sys.next] Number of NeXT's sold

alexn@alexn.austin.ibm.com (03/19/91)

Does anybody out there have any solid figures (i.e, no blind guesses) about
how many machines NeXT has sold and how many machines they have backlogged?
I need this information for a private project which I am doing.
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Alex
alexn@cetnet.austin.ibm.com

johnc@ms.uky.edu (John Coppinger) (03/20/91)

alexn@alexn.austin.ibm.com writes:

>Does anybody out there have any solid figures (i.e, no blind guesses) about
>how many machines NeXT has sold and how many machines they have backlogged?
>I need this information for a private project which I am doing.
>Thanks in advance.

I seem to remember 25,000 sold and 100,000 anticipated by the end of the year.
I think that estimate appeared in NeXTWorld's April 91 issue, but I'll have to
verify that.
--
-- John Coppinger                    "You'll find that your left cuff link  --
-- University of Kentucky             will be communicating with your right --

kim@mathcs.emory.edu (Kim Wallen {Psy}) (03/21/91)

In article <johnc.669448131@s.ms.uky.edu> johnc@ms.uky.edu (John Coppinger) writes:
>alexn@alexn.austin.ibm.com writes:
>
>>Does anybody out there have any solid figures (i.e, no blind guesses) about
>>how many machines NeXT has sold and how many machines they have backlogged?
>>I need this information for a private project which I am doing.
>>Thanks in advance.
>
>I seem to remember 25,000 sold and 100,000 anticipated by the end of the year.
>I think that estimate appeared in NeXTWorld's April 91 issue, but I'll have to
>verify that.
>--

From IDC's report on 1990 worldwide unit shipments of workstation/workstation servers:

Sun	141,800
HP	 75,550
DEC	 62,500 (includes VAXstations)
IBM	 17,000
I'graph	 14,470
Sony	 12,384
NeXT	 11,000
S.G.	  9,400

IDC`s report on 1990 $$ volume:

Sun	$2,352,000,000
HP	 1,539,000,000
DEC	 1,176,000,000
I'graph	   504,000,000
IBM	   476,000,000
S.G.	   422,000,000
Sony	   194,000,000
NeXT	    74,000,000

I cannot attest to the accuracy of IDC's figures.

Kim@unix.cc.emory.edu

chris@island.COM (Chris King) (03/22/91)

alexn@alexn.austin.ibm.com writes:

>Does anybody out there have any solid figures (i.e, no blind guesses) about
>how many machines NeXT has sold and how many machines they have backlogged?
>I need this information for a private project which I am doing.
>Thanks in advance.

>Regards,

>Alex
>alexn@cetnet.austin.ibm.com

I just got a "Sun Observer" rag. Which had a article that included the
following numbers from International Data Corp.

Number of workstations shipped in 1990

Sun 141,800
HP 75,550
Dec 62,500
IBM 17,000
Intergraph 14,470
Sony 12,380
NeXT 11,000    <=======
SGI 9,400

					Chris King
					Island Graphics Corp.
					San Rafael Ca.
					{sun,ucbcad,uunet}!island!chris

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (03/23/91)

In article <3825@island.COM> chris@island.COM (Chris King) writes:

>Number of workstations shipped in 1990
>
>Sun 141,800
>HP 75,550
>Dec 62,500
>IBM 17,000
>Intergraph 14,470
>Sony 12,380
>NeXT 11,000    <=======
>SGI 9,400

   At the launch of the new NeXTs the company was supposed to have
   10,000 firm orders for new machines.  A couple months later Steve
   told a user group that this had gone up to 15,000.

   I've read, in InfoWorld I think, that Sun was selling workstations at
   the rate of over 200,000 per year. IBM is doing well with their new
   line; in fact, it was one of the few bright spots in their dismal
   earnings report that just came out.

   I'd guess that NeXT will sell around 25,000-35,000 units in the coming
   year.  That would put them in the second tier of workstation
   vendors, well below the Sun and HP biggies, but with enough market
   presence to make of go of it, I think.  They're also getting good
   penetration in the early adopter/pioneer class of users in my
   completely unscientific observation, which augers well for their long
   term health.

Don McGregor             | Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu| Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

glang@henry (Gary Lang) (03/30/91)

In article <3825@island.COM> chris@island.COM (Chris King) writes:
> alexn@alexn.austin.ibm.com writes:
>
> >Does anybody out there have any solid figures (i.e, no blind guesses) about
> >how many machines NeXT has sold and how many machines they have backlogged?
> >I need this information for a private project which I am doing.
> >Thanks in advance.
>

> >Regards,
>
> >Alex
> >alexn@cetnet.austin.ibm.com
>
> I just got a "Sun Observer" rag. Which had a article that included the
> following numbers from International Data Corp.

IDG? He said no blind guesses. You've got to find another source, I'm afraid,
IDG doesn't qualify.

Nevertheless	, if NeXT is outselling SG, and SG is getting all this attention
from Compaq and Microsoft, I'm not too pessimistic about these numbers.

Also, I understand that NeXT has 17% market share in Europe for workstations.
This is not a blind guess.

Anyway where's your soul? I'd write code for this machine even if nobody was
buying them. Lucky for me, they really are. Beancounters never created anything
new and interesting, and they never make any real money either. Just go for it.

-g