[comp.sys.next] Thumbs Down on Improv's Scientific Ability

spenton@soc1.ssl.berkeley.edu (Steve Penton) (03/30/91)

In article <441dahla@yoda.byu.edu> dahla@yoda.byu.edu writes:
>Well I was up late last night trying to use my new copy of Improv to generate
>some power curves.  I am an avid Excel user and hoped that catching on to
>Improv without reading all off the pages would be a sinch.  Well, no luck.  It
>appears that Improv will only plot things that say sales, quarters, and
>distributtion costs.
>It appears that Lotus and NeXT are going after a new market of NeXT users.
>Why don't we here from those business oriented Improv lovers on the net?
>
>Just a flame after a lost night of endless data manipulation.
>
>dahla@yoda.byu.edu
>
>BTW - tell me where the hidden undo command is if you find it

I'm with dahla here. Why you can't even mix fonts in a given heading,
and geez no error bars!

When I need a plot I save to a text file whip up a little C program and
let plplot do its thang.

And another thing, Anybody know of a good way to build equations for use
in say WN without resorting to eqn ?  I miss my Expressionist more and
more.

And Another Thing, Anybody know how to convert macintosh graphics
in an Mac Writenow document for use on my NeXT ?  Ive got a couple
of important files that need help.

BTW- Hitting the esc key sometimes saves the day as an undo

> Steve Penton (spenton@ssl.berkeley.edu)                                <
> Center For EUV Astrophysics, 2150 Kittredge Blvd, Berkeley CA 94720    <
>                                                                        <
> Warning! Responding to anything I say has been proven to contribute to <
>          the disorder of the universe, reading my mail is even worse   <
|          Steve Penton                 |  "Astrologer's, Huh!
|      spenton@ssl.berkeley.edu         |    They've Just Got Venus Envy!"
|    Center For EUV Astrophysics        |
|  University Of California @ Berkeley  |
| 2150 Kittredge St., Berkeley CA,94720 |

rgc@wam.umd.edu (Ross Garrett Cutler) (03/30/91)

Improv wasn't made to do scientific graphics.  It would be nice if it
did, but why bother since (if you're in higher ed.) Mathematica was made
for that.  It plots like a champ!
--
Please email -- I'll summarize.
Ross Cutler