[comp.sys.next] Software Modem/Fax Modem

kkw@wam.umd.edu (Katarina Kim Wong) (03/29/91)

Hey sports fans, with all the talk about the possibility/impossibility of
creating a software modem/fax modem, I thought the group would be
interested in the attached email I received from a company in Germany,
which purports to have developed such a product  :-).

thanks for your inquiry about mix, the NeXT
multimedia information exchange.

mix is a telephone, modem, fax machine and
voice mail system running in software on the
Digital Signal Processor that is built into every
NeXT computer.

Basically this is what you get:

- A voice mail system with digital storage for
announcement and
  incoming messages
- A 9600 bps send and receive group III fax
modem
- A 2400 bps full duplex data modem

All of this is totally integrated and (as a
software product) expandable with future
software upgrades.
For all four services, mix gives you more
functionality while being easier to use than
conventional hardware machines.

mix does NOT use a serial port on your NeXT
computer and does not need a power supply!

We showed mix at the CeBIT in Hannover and
expect to start volume shipments in summer.
The pricing has not yet been determined,
expect to see a competitive price.

This mail has been sent to you by info@ilink.de

i.link GmbH
Hammerstrasse 45c
1000 Berlin 37
Germany

+49 30 781 70 55 phone
+49 30 781 70 56 mix

P.S.	Please don't use info@ilink.de for the next
couple of weeks - it
	won't work yet.
	Use info@ilink.uucp (or ilink!info) instead.
	We hope to have this worked out very
soon.

James F.X. O'Gara
kkw@cscwam.umd.edu

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (03/29/91)

I've already placed my order for mix. Although, as with most NeXT
products, I expect some wait for delivery, I have been promised
I'll get mine as soon as it becomes available.

My only problem--can some help me translate the docs, they only
come in  German at this time:-)

-Charlie

In article <1991Mar29.031136.9555@wam.umd.edu> kkw@wam.umd.edu
	(Katarina Kim Wong) writes:
>mix is a telephone, modem, fax machine and
>voice mail system running in software on the
>Digital Signal Processor that is built into every
>NeXT computer.

Is it FCC-registered for connection to the Public Switched
Telephone Network in the U.S?

Are there plans to support MINITEL/TELETEL?
...TDD compatibility?

					-=EPS=-