[comp.sys.next] How to make a cable for the NeXT serial port.

Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) (03/26/91)

REPLIES TO:	gerben@rug.nl	(please)

My modem and my terminal have an RS-232 (unbalanced) connector. The NeXT
has an RS-422-A (?) (balanced). Which pins should I connect? (Both for
NeXT-Terminal and NeXT-modem?)

Is there an apple cable I can use?

Thanks in advance,

Gerben
	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (03/27/91)

In article <3101@beguine.UUCP> Gerben.Wierda@samba.acs.unc.edu (Gerben Wierda) writes:
>REPLIES TO:	gerben@rug.nl	(please)
>
>My modem and my terminal have an RS-232 (unbalanced) connector. The NeXT
>has an RS-422-A (?) (balanced). Which pins should I connect? (Both for
>NeXT-Terminal and NeXT-modem?)

Look at the man page for zs.  It will have the info you need.  This is
assuming you have the man pages.  I have my IBM PC (clone) connected to
my cube with a null modem cable.  File transfers work flawlessly.

>Is there an apple cable I can use?

I don't know this one. I made my cable myself. Cost was about $5.

If you don't have the man pages I'll mail you the connections you need
or post.  I just don't have them handy right now.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Gerben
>--
>=============================================================================
>	Extended Bulletin Board Service, Research & Development
>Office of Information Technology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
>	      internet: bbs.acs.unc.edu or 128.109.157.30

--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/27/91)

Macintosh modem cable works fine; the printer cable has some
connections missing, but works most of the time; I made one, accoding
to the manual (null-modem) and it works with a LaserjetIIP

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

amm@NeXT.COM (Alan M. Marcum) (03/28/91)

Hardy writes, in response to Gerben Wierda's question about
cables:
> Macintosh modem cable works fine; the printer cable has some
> connections missing, but works most of the time; I made one,
> accoding to the manual (null-modem) and it works with a LaserjetIIP

Please, if you don't REALLY understand what you're doing, do NOT
use a Macintosh modem cable.  Some Mac-Modem cables might work fine
with some modems and some models of NeXT computers, but there is
far too much variability in Mac-Modem cables for me to recommend
them.  I've seen SIX different configurations of cables all called
"Mac-Modem" cables; all but one of these simply did not work for
dial-in and dial-out on the same port, and the other one worked
only with some modems.

In some instances some Mac-Modem cables will work for dial-out.
But it's really easier to buy or build a cable to our wiring
specifications than it is to diagnose why your modem set-up
isn't working the way it should.

As Kent Shephard noted, the cable wiring specs are documented
in the zs(4) UNIX Manual Page.  Please note that the hard-copy
version of the zs man page is INCORRECT in the printed NeXT
Network and System Administration manual for 2.0: it's the 1.0
version of zs(4), not the 2.0 version, and so doesn't cover
the 68040's serial ports.

In addition, no Mac-Modem cable I've ever seen is wired correctly
for an 040-based NeXT's hardware flow control.

I understand that serial cables built to our specs are available
from NeXTconnection [800-800-NeXT].
--
Alan M. Marcum
NeXT Technical Support

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/28/91)

Sorry -- I used one particular mac-modem cable for dialout and it
worked with my Intel 2440 baud modem. I have not tried dialin, and
that may well not work.  As a good theoretical physicist I used
mathematical induction from 1 to n!
I diagnosed that the printer cable was miswired (for the NeXT, so I
built one for the LaserJetIIP). I still have some problem printing
huge files, but this is probably a printcap problem and not a cable
problem, which I will get to sooner or later (I am hoping against hope
that it will disappear when I upgrade to 2.1).

One criticism though: if the printed manual page is wrong, and some
people don't have manual pages on line (I do, that's where I got the
cabling diagram), how is a poor student to know what cable to use?

Couldn't NeXT just include a modem cable ( about $5 wholesale),
preferably BLACK, and thus save lots of people lots of headaches?

Hardy
			  -------****-------

garnett@cs.utexas.edu (John William Garnett) (03/30/91)

In article <HARDY.91Mar27140328@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:

>Couldn't NeXT just include a modem cable ( about $5 wholesale),
>preferably BLACK, and thus save lots of people lots of headaches?
>
>Hardy

Regardless of how much this would please me, someone else wouldn't
like it (because they might not plan on using a modem with his/her NeXT).

However, NeXT could certainly sell modem cables that would work with
the NeXT.  Even if they sold them at the same markup as they sell
memory (~ 200% to 300%) it would be worth it to know one was getting a cable
that would work.  I have never understood the marketing motivations of
major computer manufacturers (by the way, IBM doesn't sell cables either).

--
John Garnett
                              University of Texas at Austin