[comp.sys.next] Benchmarks comparing NeXT, Sparc, 80386, Mac II

reberhar@iiic.ethz.ch (Rolf Georg Eberhardt) (03/30/91)

Hi
I'm looking for benchmark test-results between NeXTStation
and one of the following machines:

  - Sparc 1, 1+, 2
  - 80386 25/33 MHz PC's
  - Mac II fx or comparable

Are they listed anywhere ?

Thanks in advance

-- rolf

eboltz@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Scott Boltz) (03/31/91)

In article <27777@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> reberhar@iiic.ethz.ch () writes:
>Hi
>I'm looking for benchmark test-results between NeXTStation
>and one of the following machines:
>
>  - Sparc 1, 1+, 2
>  - 80386 25/33 MHz PC's
>  - Mac II fx or comparable

A friend of mine at NASA/Langley wrote a F77 program which models heat
flow around a crack in a solid. We f2c'd it and timed it on a '030 cube
running NS 2.0, a '040 running 2.0, and a Mac IIfx (40MHz '030).
The results were:
Machine          Time
NeXT 030         ~23:00
Mac IIfx         ~18:00
NeXT 040         ~ 5:10

As far as I know they (at NASA were going to run it on a 386, 486 and the
Sun SPARCs they have, but I haven't seen the results. I can arrange to send
the orig. FORTRAN probably if anyone wants it.

Eric S. Boltz
102 Maryland Hall
Materials Science and Engineering
The Johns Hopkins University