[comp.sys.next] pic for TeX-users

kjell@saturn.ucsc.edu (Kjell Post) (03/27/91)

(Introductory note: pic is a language for textually describing pictures and
was originally written by Brian Kernighan at AT&T for troff.  Tpic is a port
to the TeX environment and is not part of the NeXT distribution.)

If you're doing typesetting with TeX and miss tpic, you should definitely
get gpic, which is included in the groff distribution, written by
James Clark and available from e.g. prep.ai.mit.edu.

The groff package is written in C++ (actually g++) so one of the first
things I did was to get libg++-1.39 from the same place.  Bill Burdick,
who was kind enough to answer some questions about its installation, will
soon post instructions on how to get it up and running with cc++.

Since I'm a TeX user I only bothered with gpic and didn't compile the
complete groff package.  If there is enough demand I'd be happy to
put a tar-file on an ftp-site with the binary and the gpic manual.
Gpic has some additional features over tpic so you might want to get it,
even though you have access to tpic.

While TeXview doesn't grok the \special-commands generated by gpic,
dvips does, and Preview can be used to examine the PostScript file.

BTW, where are the man pages for cc++ ???

--Kjell
--
Vi i Sverige har blivit trygghetsnarkomaner. ! Kjell Post, CS Grad student
Livet best}r inte bara av trygghet.          ! Univ of California, Santa Cruz

paul@cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) (03/31/91)

In article <13774@darkstar.ucsc.edu> kjell@saturn.ucsc.edu (Kjell Post) writes:
>If you're doing typesetting with TeX and miss tpic, you should definitely
>get gpic...
>
>...  If there is enough demand I'd be happy to put a tar-file on an
> ftp-site with the binary and the gpic manual.

This sounds useful for ptroff users too!  I would certainly like to
see this as a binary on nova.cc.purdue.edu and other servers.  It would also
be informative to see what you had to do to compile the package on your
NeXT.

--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                       paul@cgh.com