[comp.sys.next] Concepts chapters on archive servers

NextAnswers@next.com (03/30/91)

The hard-copy technical documentation that is now being shipped
includes the "NeXTstep Concepts" and "Sound, Music, and Signal
Processing Concepts" manuals, which were not distributed on-line as
part of the 2.0 or 2.1 software releases. Because the "Concepts"
chapters are very useful for learning about programming NeXT
computers, users of the 2.0 Extended or 2.1 Extended software
releases may wish to add them to their on-line documentation.  The
"Concepts" chapters can now be obtained from the Internet archive
servers.  They are not available in electronic form directly from
NeXT.

The "NeXTstep Concepts" chapters are based on Release 1.0; be sure to
read the file Intro.rtf for details. The "Sound, Music, and Signal
Processing Concepts" chapters are based on Release 2.0.

You can obtain the "Concepts" chapters by anonymous ftp (file
transfer protocol) from one of the following Internet archive
servers:
         hostname       IP address      directory
       cs.orst.edu     128.193.32.1    pub/next/documents/NeXT
       sonata.cc.purdue.edu  128.210.15.30     pub/next/docs

Purdue also maintains an email-based archive server, for those
without ftp access.  Send a message consisting of "help" to
archive-server@cc.purdue.edu. If the "From:" line in your message
header will not be in Internet format (e.g., name@site.edu), include
a line in your message like "path name@site.edu" or "path
wellknownsite!yoursite!yourname@uunet.uu.net".  Note that neither
name@site.bitnet nor name@site.UUCP will work.

NextStep_Concepts.tar.Z occupies 1.56 Megabytes.  When unarchived,
it's 6.66 Megabytes. SndMusicDSP_Concepts.tar.Z occupies 421
Kilobytes; unarchived, it's 1.25 Megabytes.  Indexing will add 200
Kilobytes.  Thus you'll need to have more than ten Megabytes free on
your disk before installation.  (Two of these ten Megabytes will be
retrieved by deleting the archive files after unarchiving them.)

We recommend installing the NextStep and SndMusicDSP Concepts
directories in /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev/NextStep and
/NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev/SndMusicDSP, respectively.  This
will place the Concepts directories alongside the corresponding
Reference directories that were shipped with the 2.0 release, making
the directory structure consistent with the way the documentation was
organized in Release 1.0.

If these documentation directories are write-protected, you'll need
to remove the write protection to install the Concepts chapters
there.  Check the protection by using the Workspace Manager's
Inspector panel, or by typing the following Unix command in a
Terminal window:

ls -l /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev

(If the lines for NextStep and SndMusicDSP start with something like
"drwxr-xr-x  3 root", you don't have write permission.)

If you don't have write permission, you'll probably need to have root
access to change the protection.  These commands (and all and
subsequent ones) should be typed in a Terminal window:

su
[if it says "You do not have permission to su root", see your system
administrator]
password: [type password for root access]
# cd /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev
# chmod a+w NextStep
# chmod a+w SndMusicDSP
# chmod -R a+w .index
[control-D]

Here are instructions for ftp'ing the files into the documentation
directory and unarchiving them:

ftp hostname [replace "hostname" with a choice from the table above]

login: anonymous
password: [type your login name as password]
ftp> cd directory [see table above for the appropriate replacement
for "directory"]

ftp> lcd /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev/NextStep
ftp> binary
ftp> get NextStep_Concepts.tar.Z
ftp> lcd ../SndMusicDSP
ftp> get SndMusicDSP_Concepts.tar.Z
ftp> quit
cd /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev/NextStep
zcat NextStep_Concepts.tar.Z | tar xvf -
cd ../SndMusicDSP
zcat SndMusicDSP_Concepts.tar.Z | tar xvf -

This will create Concepts subdirectories in both the NextStep and the
SndMusicDSP directories, along with corresponding README files.
Next, update the NextDev index:

cd /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev
ixBuild -CV -NReleaseNotes

Indexing will take a number of minutes to complete; you'll see the
filenames printed out as they're indexed.  When it's done, try a few
searches using the "Next Developer" target in Digital Librarian to
verify that the installation and indexing were successful.  Then
remove the archive files:

rm NextStep/NextStep_Concepts.tar.Z
[if it asks for confirmation, type "y"]
rm SndMusicDSP/SndMusicDSP_Concepts.tar.Z
[if it asks for confirmation, type "y"]

You'll probably want to write-protect the directories again, if you
had previously made them unprotected:

su
password: [type password for root access]
# chmod a-w NextStep
# chmod a-w SndMusicDSP
# chmod -R a-w .index

[control-D]

izumi@mindseye.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (03/30/91)

In article <432@rosie.NeXT.COM> NextAnswers@next.com writes:
>The hard-copy technical documentation that is now being shipped
>includes the "NeXTstep Concepts" and "Sound, Music, and Signal
>Processing Concepts" manuals, which were not distributed on-line as
>part of the 2.0 or 2.1 software releases. Because the "Concepts"
>chapters are very useful for learning about programming NeXT
>computers, users of the 2.0 Extended or 2.1 Extended software
>releases may wish to add them to their on-line documentation.  The
>"Concepts" chapters can now be obtained from the Internet archive
>servers.  They are not available in electronic form directly from
>NeXT.

This is great news.
Now with the addition of the two concept chapers to 2.0/2.1
Extended distribution, is the on-line documentation complete?
Or are there still things that are only available in the
printed TechDoc?

I am glad that NeXT has come through with this.
Now, when do we get 2.1 update set on the archives?

Izumi Ohzawa             [ $@Bg_78^=;(J ]
USMail: University of California, 360 Minor Hall, Berkeley, CA 94720
Telephone: (415) 642-6440             Fax:  (415) 642-3323
Internet: izumi@violet.berkeley.edu   NeXTmail: izumi@pinoko.berkeley.edu

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/30/91)

In article <432@rosie.NeXT.COM> NextAnswers@next.com writes:
>The "NeXTstep Concepts" chapters are based on Release 1.0; be sure to
>read the file Intro.rtf for details. The "Sound, Music, and Signal

Why that? Shouldn't it be possible to put the 2.x version there? As
the 2.x version is about to be shipped, I guess it had to be available
in electronic form before NeXT could print it. So why do we have to
stick with the 1.0 version?
It was very helpful under 1.0 to find a section of the manual in the
DL and then, if it was a larger section you had to read, switch to the
printed manuals. If the online docs are partly 1.0 and the paper
manuals are 2.0, then this is no longer easily possible. :(

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

rgc@wam.umd.edu (Ross Garrett Cutler) (03/30/91)

In article <70329@brunix.UUCP> rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>In article <432@rosie.NeXT.COM> NextAnswers@next.com writes:
>>The "NeXTstep Concepts" chapters are based on Release 1.0; be sure to
>>read the file Intro.rtf for details. The "Sound, Music, and Signal
>
>Why that? Shouldn't it be possible to put the 2.x version there? As
>the 2.x version is about to be shipped, I guess it had to be available
>in electronic form before NeXT could print it. So why do we have to
>stick with the 1.0 version?
[...]

The concept docs now in the archives supposedly are *exactly* the same
as the printed version (at least that what it says in the Concepts_README
file).  So don't be surprised when you get your printed version that
they are not up to date :-(.  Needless to say, after paying $100 and waiting
5 months to get docs that aren't up to par, some people might be a bit
upset...

BTW, I asked ask_next@next.com why the concepts section was missing, and
I was told:

	1. it takes up a lot of room on the distribution
	2. most people would rather read on paper

Personally, I bought my NeXT to program, so they could have left something
else off to squeeze in (2 MB compressed) the most important section to me.
(e.g. the guided tour).

And I'm sick of throwing away outdated documentation -- it's a waste
of both money and of paper (and I thought NeXT was environmentally
conscious!).  They should not force you to buy something that's only
good for a year (less that that at the rate the get it to you!) if it is not
necessary.
--
Please email -- I'll summarize.
Ross Cutler

gene@ponder.csci.unt.edu (Gene De Lisa) (03/31/91)

	THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still waiting for the paper docs to come in and this helps
quite a bit. thank you!

--
more direct:

vortech!gene@Central.Sun.COM

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (03/31/91)

In the posting (which is the same as the Concepts_README file), NeXT says
to do this after untarzing (new verb) the manuals to index them:

     cd /NextLibrary/Documentation/NextDev
     ixBuild -CV -NReleaseNotes

Well, it didn't work (it gave up almost immediately).  So, I did this:

     rm .index/index.ixif
     ixBuild -CV -NReleaseNotes

and *that* worked.  This was inspired by a dim memory of a posting several
thousand messages ago about updating indexes not working in 2.0.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu