[comp.sys.next] How to get out of NeXT-Tour ?

ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (03/31/91)

Hi,
I was expecting some fun with "Guided Tour" program
in /NeXTDeveloper/Demo dir (BTW,on my HD, 040). But After I launched
that program, it log myself out and nothing going (sound, animation,,) except
show up as another user "NeXTTour"(?). ShowandTell program above
Recycler can't be launched. Since then I can't login as
root or even myself. Reboot or powerdown didn't help either.
NeXT-Tour program(user) took over my HD !!!

My last resovle was to boot from my original 2.0 Extended OD.
and try to reupgrade my HD.
Unfortunately, Upgrade2.0 program told me "Upgrade 2.0 is not supported"
this time, not the first time ask me whether to keep Mathmatica and
Algol CL or not. After Upgrade2.0 failed, my HD show up as
"UPGRADE2.0" dir under root. and I have another dir "NeXTour" under HD.
all the files under /NextDeveloper are invisiable under "NeXT-Tour" user
but visiable under booting from OD.

Did I make stupid mistakes again ?

Thanks for you pointer

Jing

ty@reef.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) (03/31/91)

Hi,
I finally got out of "NexTour" user by try and error.
1. su to "me", can't su to root directly.
2. su to "root" with password.
3. Launch UserManager in NextAdmin dir.
4. Delete NexTour user.
5. then  I can logout "NexTtour" user and have login panel as normal.
   Without 4. step, I can't logout "NexTour" user.

Anybody have a sucessful NeXT-tour trip ?
or how can you run "Guided Tour" program under NeXTCube ?
It seems default to introduce NeXTStation.

Thanks for your response

Jing

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (03/31/91)

I just recycled it!

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (04/01/91)

ty@springs.cis.ufl.edu (Tyng-Jing Yang) writes:

> Hi,
> I was expecting some fun with "Guided Tour" program
> in /NeXTDeveloper/Demo dir (BTW,on my HD, 040). But After I launched
> that program, it log myself out and nothing going (sound, animation,,) except
> show up as another user "NeXTTour"(?). ShowandTell program above
> Recycler can't be launched. Since then I can't login as
> root or even myself. Reboot or powerdown didn't help either.
> NeXT-Tour program(user) took over my HD !!!
>
> My last resovle was to boot from my original 2.0 Extended OD.
> and try to reupgrade my HD.
> Unfortunately, Upgrade2.0 program told me "Upgrade 2.0 is not supported"
> this time, not the first time ask me whether to keep Mathmatica and
> Algol CL or not. After Upgrade2.0 failed, my HD show up as
> "UPGRADE2.0" dir under root. and I have another dir "NeXTour" under HD.
> all the files under /NextDeveloper are invisiable under "NeXT-Tour" user
> but visiable under booting from OD.

Here's a fix ....

Boot your NeXT in single user mode... cmd-cmd-~/  then at the prompt

NeXT> b sd -s

# cd /
# cd .NeXT
# rm .NeXTdefaults.L

then  cmd-cmd-~  and let it boot NeXTstep.

This allows you to sign on as root. Call up /NextAdmin/UserManager
and delete the NeXTTour account and directory.

And delete the .NeXT/NeXTdefaults.L  file in your own home directory.

This deletes any previous default settings you may have made, but as least
it will allow you to sign-on.

From a voice of experience....

 *  lawrence_clarke@questor.uucp  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations Group     *
 *  larry@erich.triumf.ca         |  University of British Columbia  *
 *  Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall              *
 *  Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia     *
 *  FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3                 *