[comp.sys.next] Next cube system problems

jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) (03/31/91)

I have upgraded my cube to NeXT OS 2.0 with the 68040, added memory and
some peripherals- and have been getting some spooky intermittent problems.
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced these problems and could
suggest solutions.

FIRST, I added a PLI drive in a SCSI chain that goes from an external HD,
to the PLI drive, and then to a scanner.  I seem to lose the PLI drive
periodically with zillions of repeated messages like:

  Mar 30 10:15:47 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
  Mar 30 10:15:48 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
  Mar 30 10:16:17 ljkiraly last message repeated 24 times

These continue until I power cycle the PLI drive.  I added an external SCSI line
terminator to the scanner (which is supposed to be internally terminated)- which
has seemed to help but not solve the problem.  Any suggestions?

SECOND, I get a lot of console messages like:

Mar 29 10:39:33 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=5
Mar 29 10:43:20 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=7
Mar 29 10:45:11 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=10
Mar 29 10:50:18 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=12
Mar 29 10:52:37 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=15
Mar 29 10:53:56 ljkiraly Workspace[1195]: cheap: dropping extra collection sequence=17

Theses messages don't seem to effect anything directly- but I worry about them
because THIRD, I periodically core dump when logging out.  I have also
experienced a number of problems when logging in as root and having problems
launching standard apps like Terminal- these apps go into a launching status
and never complete.  I have to kill them from a processes window- and I cannot
launch them again until I logout and login again.   Finally, on a few occasions
I have gotten alert panels on logging in that describe an "internal error-
continue at your own risk" kind of message- to which I respond be either
rebooting or power cycling the machine.

Is anyone else experiencing these problems?  Any recommendations?
I really lover my NeXT- but find these problems a little aggravating, since
I never experienced them with my slow '30 version 1.0 system.
  Jim Kiraly  - jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov  -  NASA Lewis Research Center

jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.162357.1745@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) writes:

>FIRST, I added a PLI drive in a SCSI chain that goes from an external HD,
>to the PLI drive, and then to a scanner.  I seem to lose the PLI drive
>periodically with zillions of repeated messages like:
>
>  Mar 30 10:15:47 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
>  Mar 30 10:15:48 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
>  Mar 30 10:16:17 ljkiraly last message repeated 24 times

	Is this a Mac PLI drive? Apparently you cannot connect Mac PLI
drives to the NeXT without a ROM and jumper change because they do not
fully uphold the SCSI Standard. Call PLI for details.

	- Jiro Nakamura
	jiro@shaman.com

ps. Standard disclaimers.
--
Jiro Nakamura				jiro@shaman.com
Shaman Consulting			(607) 253-0687 VOICE

jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.172006.817@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
->In article <1991Mar30.162357.1745@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) writes:
->>
->>FIRST, I added a PLI drive in a SCSI chain that goes from an external HD,
->>to the PLI drive, and then to a scanner.  I seem to lose the PLI drive
->>periodically with zillions of repeated messages like:
->>
->>  Mar 30 10:15:47 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
->>  Mar 30 10:15:48 ljkiraly mach: sd2 (4,0): ERROR op:0x0 sd_state:2 scsi status:0x0
->>  Mar 30 10:16:17 ljkiraly last message repeated 24 times
->
->	Is this a Mac PLI drive? Apparently you cannot connect Mac PLI
->drives to the NeXT without a ROM and jumper change because they do not
->fully uphold the SCSI Standard. Call PLI for details.
->
->	- Jiro Nakamura
->	jiro@shaman.com

Nope, it's a NeXT external PLI drive.  I have been getting some other spooky
console messages as well- so I am going to take everything out of the SCSI
chain instead of the PLI drive and then wait_n_see...  Next, I will probably
put all the SCSI stuff back except for the PLI drive.  The darn thing about
all this is that it is an intermitant problem.   So far only one other person
has noted a similar problem with no fixes yet!
  Jim Kiraly  - jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov  -  NASA Lewis Research Center

jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.004750.2378@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.172006.817@shaman.com> jiro@shaman.com (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>->In article <1991Mar30.162357.1745@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) writes:
>->>
>->>FIRST, I added a PLI drive in a SCSI chain that goes from an external HD,
>->>to the PLI drive, and then to a scanner.  I seem to lose the PLI drive
>->>periodically with zillions of repeated messages like:
(deleted)
>  Jim Kiraly  - jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov  -  NASA Lewis Research Center

I have also come across  some annoying problems with hooking up SCSI devices
to my 040 Cube. SCSI problems are often difficult to diagnose because of the
lack of diagnostic software. Does anyone know of any good SCSI diagnostic
software for the NeXT computer?

:-( Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********