[comp.sys.next] TOPDRAW Demo

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (03/27/90)

I just received my copy of the "First Compilation Disk" put
together by the people at Lighthouse Design (Thanks, guys!)

The TopDraw demo which comes on the disk is worth checking
out, as an example of what first-class software is going to
look like on the NeXT.  There is an extensive use of sound---
the whole tutorial is presented in spoken form---and the things
they do with the on-screen displays (via compositing, I assume) are
really nice.  The demo shows off the NeXT as much as it does
TopDraw.  This is the sort of demo that Businessland folks should
have up and running on their showroom machines.  Now if I can only
imagine what all this will look like in color . . .

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (03/28/90)

Will there be any of the NeXT archives updating their contents with
the (i guess) few files on the disk put together by lighthouse anytime
soon?  I simply do not have spare $$ to get this disk, especially as I
have most of what's on the servers anyway...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."  Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet

maul@asic.nsc.com (Robert Maul) (03/28/90)

In article <1990Mar27.051619.11378@sjuphil.uucp>, dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) writes:

> The TopDraw demo which comes on the disk is worth checking
> out, as an example of what first-class software is going to
> look like on the NeXT.  There is an extensive use of sound---

It's too bad TopDraw itself is a piece of junk.  A friend of mine bought
it not too long ago and we ran it.

It kept crashing so we gave up on it.

--
Rob Maul, maul@asic.nsc.com

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (01/23/91)

For those of you who are looking for a Drawing program, there is a card
in the first issue of NeXTWorld for a free Demo of TopDraw.  The demo
is distrubuted on floppies, or you can send them an optical, and they
will send the demo back on it.
    The ad for the demo said that this is a fully working version of the
program with the save feature disabled, as opposed to just a demo.
However, I have seen a demo ala NeXTTour for topdraw at a demo given by
a campus consultant.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (04/02/91)

Since I just received my March (marked April on the mag) NeXTWORLD
today, and Media Logic's ad said the offer expires today, I thought
I'd call and see if I could squeeze under the wire.  (They said OK)
But the lady happened to mention something interesting:

She said they were expecting approx. 500 returned cards for the
free demo (won't Save), but had received 1600 inquiries!  And she
also mentioned that since I was going to send in my OD, I'd prob-
ably get my demo back _faster_ than if they had to send me
floppies--they're somewhat backed up due to the large interest.

(Other vendors ought to take note of the rising number of NeXTers
who are _eager_ to see what you have in store...)

John

--

John Stannard
ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA

"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"

--

stone@triton.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.221039.3539@ims.alaska.edu> ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu writes:
>(Other vendors ought to take note of the rising number of NeXTers
>who are _eager_ to see what you have in store...)

	Here at Stone Design, we listen. Just send me email requesting
either a Create Demo or a DataPhile Demo, and we'll send you a free week's
registration. Save trees, too. If interest grows > O(n); we'll stick them in
the archives. Be sure to let me know if you can receive NeXTMail, then you
get "the package", which uses the NeXT Installer App to install.

andrew

>John Stannard
>ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA
>KL7JL@KL7JL.AK.USA.NA		kl7jl.ampr.org  [44.22.0.1]
>
>"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"
42

!!         Andrew Stone             !!       Stone Design Software      !!
!!      andrew@stone.com            <>      Albuquerque, New Mexico     !!