[comp.sys.next] Wingz

jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) (01/17/90)

From the Jan. 16th (1990) issue of MacWeek:
"Informix has promised that Wingz, introduced on the Mac last February,
will be delivered on OS/2, Windows, NeXT and many other flavors of UNIX
by the end of this year."

I hope that they don't mean that Wingz for the NeXT will come out at
the end of the year.

I remember when the NeXT first came out that everyone was clamoring for
a spreadsheet. I haven't heard that much lately. Is everyone still
waiting for a spreadsheet before they buy a NeXT or are they wanting
something more now?

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/17/90)

In article <14932@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>From the Jan. 16th (1990) issue of MacWeek:
>"Informix has promised that Wingz, introduced on the Mac last February,
>will be delivered on OS/2, Windows, NeXT and many other flavors of UNIX
>by the end of this year."
>
>I hope that they don't mean that Wingz for the NeXT will come out at
>the end of the year.

I have seen what is supposedly the "release version" of WingZ; our NeXT
rep had a copy.  I saw it run, but no more.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

kdp9565@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Keith D. Perkins) (01/18/90)

In article <14932@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>I hope that they don't mean that Wingz for the NeXT will come out at
>the end of the year.
>
>I remember when the NeXT first came out that everyone was clamoring for
>a spreadsheet. I haven't heard that much lately. Is everyone still
>waiting for a spreadsheet before they buy a NeXT or are they wanting
>something more now?

According to the newest Byte Mag. (the one with the awards) the NeXT will
soon have 3 spreadsheets, one of which is already out. Look in the
beginning of the mag. where they talk about the industry. There is also
an article reviewing the NeXT running 1.0 (they forgot that Framemaker
is out for the NeXT in the article, but otherwise it seemed fairly
accurate).

Keith Perkins
kdp9565@doc.cc.utexas.edu

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.152120.12422@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>In article <14932@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> jasmerb@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Bryce Jasmer) writes:
>>From the Jan. 16th (1990) issue of MacWeek:
>>"Informix has promised that Wingz, introduced on the Mac last February,
>>will be delivered on OS/2, Windows, NeXT and many other flavors of UNIX
>>by the end of this year."
>>
>>I hope that they don't mean that Wingz for the NeXT will come out at
>>the end of the year.
>
>I have seen what is supposedly the "release version" of WingZ; our NeXT
>rep had a copy.  I saw it run, but no more.
>--
The latest issue of InfoWorld says that the NeXT version of Wingz will
be shipping in March.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent@sjuphil.sju.edu
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (07/11/90)

To order an educational version of Wingz for the NeXT, call
Campus Technology at 1-800-543-8188.  The educational price
is $199.  I just ordered a copy, so I have not seen the
software running yet.

iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) (11/27/90)

WingZ is alive and well. I have had the release copy  for months now, although
I got it because I was beta-testing.  If you have  not received your  copy, it
should be a glitch in their ordering system.

WingZ is a  real  nice,  but standard spreadsheet, with  some limitations.  In
particular, some features are not quite intuitive (in particular, why  I can't
highlight three columns and select a 3-dim graph),  and speed was a problem on
the 68030 cube. WingZ should fly on the 68040 cube.

Although I am happy to also receive Improv, I am a bit  sorry for Informix and
Ashton Tate. After all, how can they compete with a free product?  I wish that
NeXT were to give people  a choice between WingZ, Ashton  Tate's  spreadsheet,
and Improv.  After all, Informix and Ashton  Tate have  also invested money in
porting to and  thus  helping NeXT, and seem  to get screwed now. Maybe Ashton
Tate and   Informix will decide  to sell  a  non-upgradeable version  of their
spreadsheet  for real   cheap now  in  order to  build  enough marketshare and
customers to be able to compete in the future.

/ivo welch

cbradley@Busl.COM (Chris Bradley) (11/29/90)

In article <699@mara.cognet.ucla.edu> iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu (Ivo Welch) writes:
>Although I am happy to also receive Improv, I am a bit  sorry for Informix and
>Ashton Tate. After all, how can they compete with a free product?

Fortunately for Informix and for Ashton-Tate, the Improv-for-free promotion
is for a limited time only.  (I bet the Improv product managers are happy
about that, too!  :-)  The promotion is supposed to end on 12/31/90.

Having used the Improv code since "BackBay release 81", I believe
that Improv offers a significant and important advance in modeling tools
for a certain segment of the planning public.  I don't believe that it
is the right tool for >everyone< who uses row-and-column spreadsheets
today, but I think that a substantial number of planners will find it to
be their first choice of modeling tools.

Everyone who uses a spreadsheet today should see this, if only to
understand what Improv offers.  Not everyone will fall in love with it,
but some will -- I did!

--
Chris Bradley			| "Nothing is more certain than incertainties;
Businessland Advanced Systems	|  Fortune is full of fresh variety:

glang@Autodesk.COM (Gary Lang) (12/10/90)

>After all, how can they compete with a free product?

By doing a different one. Powerstep and Wingz are full blown applications
development environments, Improv is not touted as such. This is fundamental
because it enables Wingz and Powerstep to be used as development platforms
by third parties, not just an analysis tool.

All really successful software packages turn out to have development
environments on top of which the highest percentage of use of these
packages are experienced. Examples:

1-2-3
dBASE
Hypercard
WP
Word (macros, style sheets and now WordBasic)
Excel

etc.

Informix and A-T can do very well with these products.

Frankly, Lotus has done more for NeXT over the past 2 years than
either A-T or Informix have. They've consistently let Frank King
be photographed with a NeXT on his desk talking about it (largely
to divert attention from Windows one might suspect but still..),
manzi has constantly talked up the cube, etc. Ask yourself, who
is the AA-T equivalen to King? Hmm.. O.K. so he probably hasn't talked
about the cube much has he?

Lotus and NeXT have a nice symbiosis going that few hardware and
software vendors seem to have these days.

BTW, I have Wingz and have seen the other 2 (haven't received upgrade
yet) and can safely say that while it is a great product, it is the
least NeXT-like of the 3.

- g

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar31.004745.173@gacvx2.gac.edu> dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
>In article <70370@brunix.UUCP>, rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>> WingZ runs as perfectly as ever (what ever that means) on the NeXT
>> even under 2.0. I'm doing this right now, so if Informix can tell me
>> why they think it does not work under 2.0, I'd be interested...
>
>I have been running WingZ under 2.0 on a 030 cube and have discovered some
>problems.  They are minor.  When I use borders I loose the outside lines when I
>print.  Edges of graphics get cut off too.  I have not tried running it on a
>NeXTstation.  I wonder if some of the 040 problems would affect its
>calcuations.
>Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
>Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet
>Gustavus Adolphus College
>St. Peter, MN 56082 USA        Phone:     (507)933-7596

    It may be that the old Wingz for NS 1.0 will run under NS 2.0 on a
030 cube.  (After all, they are supposed to be object compatible.)
The person I talked to did say that it wasn't supported on the
NeXTStation.  ie, an 040.

    For those of you running Wingz, is there any way to get EPS out of it?
I want to be able to use Wingz graphs in LaTeX or TeX.

BTW, is there a GNU spreadsheet?  I've heard rumors...

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar31.080622.24467@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>In article <1991Mar31.004745.173@gacvx2.gac.edu> dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
>>In article <70370@brunix.UUCP>, rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:
>>> WingZ runs as perfectly as ever (what ever that means) on the NeXT
>>>    [text deleted --SJB]
>
>BTW, is there a GNU spreadsheet?  I've heard rumors...

     I don't know about a GNU spreadsheet, but there is a *simple*,
but working, spreadsheet calculator called (what else?:-) "sc" that
you can pick up for free from the comp.sources.unix archives at
uunet.

>Andrew
>zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Mar31.080622.24467@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:
>BTW, is there a GNU spreadsheet?  I've heard rumors...

I belive it's called Oleo and is in alpha or beta testing right now.
I'm using "sc" in the meantime.  Oleo is supposed to be able to read
sc spreadsheet files.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu