[comp.sys.next] co-Xist shipped

sulistio@futon.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) (04/02/91)

I just received my copy of co-Xist today.  It is release 2.01.  Full package
require about 60mb space.  It comes in 12 ED diskettes.
And my graphics package works with co-Xist.
Thanks Pencom.
--
Mul			    |  Alt. address: sulistio@sutro.sfsu.edu
sulistio@futon.sfsu.edu	    |		     sulistio@sfsuvax1.sfsu.edu

pfkeb@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz) (04/02/91)

In article <9104012227.AA04593@futon.SFSU.EDU> sulistio@futon.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:

   I just received my copy of co-Xist today.  It is release 2.01.  Full package
   require about 60mb space.  It comes in 12 ED diskettes.
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   And my graphics package works with co-Xist.
   Thanks Pencom.
   --

60MB!!!   Where does it all go?   The NextStep 2.0 release is only
64MB.   That is, a NeXTStation with 105MB drive is

So where in the world does  60MB go to support X?

   I too, support Pencom's effort to supply X for the NeXT, don't get me
wrong.  I'm just wondering why X is so big.   I knew it was big but
60MB is huge!

dany@pensoft.uucp (Dany Guindi) (04/03/91)

In article <PFKEB.91Apr1210303@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU> you write:
>In article <9104012227.AA04593@futon.SFSU.EDU> sulistio@futon.SFSU.EDU (Sulistio Muljadi) writes:
>
>   I just received my copy of co-Xist today.  It is release 2.01.  Full package
>   require about 60mb space.  It comes in 12 ED diskettes.
>           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   And my graphics package works with co-Xist.
>   Thanks Pencom.
>   --
>
>60MB!!!   Where does it all go?

60 MBs is a max. It depends on what you buy and install.
How is that, well:

the X server itself is only ~1/2 meg BUT X comes with a whole
lot of clients, demos, libraries, fonts, man pages and that is
where the other ~24.5 meg go.

Motif: mwm is only ~3/4 meg BUT libraries, demos, uil, man pages
and you get close to 21.4 meg again.

And then documentation: we have put the X and Motif doc on the
digital librarian. Whereas having it on your office would take
at least one bookshelf, on the NeXT it takes only ~13meg and it
is easily accessible.

Note that you can buy any of the three packages described above
separately! It will only take 60 megs if you buy, install and keep
everything.

The standard MIT X distribution warns people of the amount of disk
space needed. We decided to provide you with the executables and
let you decide what you wanted to shed instead of making the
decision for you.

If you like I can give you instruction as to how to get the
minimum configuration so as to get co-Xist and only take
less than 7 meg.

If you have any other questions please feel free to send
them my way!

>So where in the world does  60MB go to support X?

I hope the above answers that question!

>   I too, support Pencom's effort to supply X for the NeXT, don't get me
>wrong.  I'm just wondering why X is so big.   I knew it was big but
>60MB is huge!

And, thanks for your support!!!

--dany
pensoft!dany@cs.utexas.edu