[net.auto] Changing the subject...

earle@oblio.DEC (Mr. SPPR) (01/07/86)

Along the lines of good/best sports GT's...

	I think value is an important ingredient in a Sports coupe/gt.  Sure
you may find a car that goes real fast but a what price?  How much of that
power will you use?

	My vote:    '86 Mitsubishi Starion LE

		for those wanting more power at the expense of $2500 and
		convience features...

		    '86 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R  (flared fenders and all)
		      17,500

			(review found in Jan Car & Driver with Gold cover

	Eh, take it or leave it...I TOOK IT!

					George Earle
					DECVAX!DECWRL!RHEA!OBLIO!EARLE

my views are mine.

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/12/86)

> Along the lines of good/best sports GT's...
> 	I think value is an important ingredient in a Sports coupe/gt.  Sure
> you may find a car that goes real fast but a what price?  How much of that
> power will you use?
> 	My vote:    '86 Mitsubishi Starion LE
> 		for those wanting more power at the expense of $2500 and
> 		convience features...
> 		    '86 Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R  (flared fenders and all)
> 		      17,500
> 			(review found in Jan Car & Driver with Gold cover
> 	Eh, take it or leave it...I TOOK IT!
> 					George Earle
> 					DECVAX!DECWRL!RHEA!OBLIO!EARLE

Talking about value, what about the Ford Mustang GT ?
I think it is an excellent car for the price it commands.
comments ?

Mark
homxb!mr

dcm@busch.UUCP (Craig Miller) (01/14/86)

In article <1115@homxb.UUCP> mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) writes:

>Talking about value, what about the Ford Mustang GT ?
>I think it is an excellent car for the price it commands.
>comments ?
>
>Mark
>homxb!mr

	Hear, hear!  I agree totally.  I've got an '84 GT350 (the
	anniversary edition), and the sticker price on it was $12.1K.
	I paid about $10.5K for it.  Not too shabby a price for
	almost every option imaginable and a 5.0L engine to boot!
	I've put over 30K miles on it and have no complaints...
	(except one speeding ticket which I got off of anyway thanks
	to a good friend who knows people in the right places...)
	Definitely a quality car...  I just wish its speedometer went
	over 85! :-)

	If I remember right, the '85s and '86s were more expensive,
	but still not bad...  They're faster, too.  (my next car will
	probably be a Mustang convertible with a 5.0L)

		Craig
--
	Craig Miller
	UUCP: ..!ihnp4!we53!busch!dcm

- Since I'm a consultant here and not an Anheuser-Busch employee, my
  views (or lack of) are strictly my own.

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) (01/14/86)

> Talking about value, what about the Ford Mustang GT ?
> I think it is an excellent car for the price it commands.
> comments ?
>
> Mark
> homxb!mr
     I have an 84 1/2 GT ('85 suspension, '84 engine), and I think it is a
great car.  $11,100 was the price for the fully loaded car, which makes
it significantly less expensive than imports with worse performance.
Not only is is less expensive to purchase, but the engine is the venerable
302 V8, and most parts from '68 on retrofit (cams, manifolds, etc.) so
it is inexpensive to maintain.  Also, try hauling a boat trailer behind
a Starion, or RX-7, or any other car with a tiny, highly stressed engine.
Your mechanic will send you Christmas cards.
    My only complaints are minor design flaws such as a brake fitting on
top of the rear axle just where I have to run the pipe if I install dual
exhausts, and the cooling system is adequate for the bone stock engine,
but the engine runs hot when you try to increase output (headers,
dual converters, a REAL tune up).  It has never overheated, but I have
installed an oil cooler just as an added measure of protection, which seems
to have solved the problem.  Also, the stock Eagle GT tires wore out after
16k miles, and were replaced with Goodrich Comp T/A's of the same size,
with a very noticeable improvement in handling and control.

Earle A. Sugar
Disclaimer:"I doubt anyone else here agrees with me."
          USENET: ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aeas
          CSNET:ins_aeas@jhunix.csnet
          ARPA:ins_aeas%jhunix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
          BITNET: INS_BEAS@JHUVMS (as a last resort)
"If you don't expect anything, you'll never be dissappointed."
          or call 301-889-0815 after 6 P.M. EST