[comp.sys.next] Gnuplot under X

alan@wam.umd.edu (Alan J. Schunemann) (03/24/91)

Does anyone have gnuplot running under X11 on the NeXT? I've gotten it to
compile and plot some stuff from data files but it won't "plot sin(x)" or
"set xrange [0:13]". It returns a "undefined value" under the "0". The
NeXT really does a speedy job with X11 plotting.

On a different note. I've received Lotus Improv. I'm used to running a Mac
IIx with MS Excel. I was REALLY let down when I tried to plot a series with
5229 data points and it gave me a "sorry, I can't plot more than the first
1500 values" (paraphrase). I don't know how it compares on benchmarks to
MS Excel but I can tell you from just doing scatter plots it's a lot slower!

Having Fun in X land.
Alan

Alan Schunemann       Well, what shall we throw away this year?
alan@wam.umd.edu      -Andrew Carnegie

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (03/25/91)

I just got an X11 program called drawplot that does x-y plotting to work on
the NeXT, under X11. I'll put on an anonymous ftp site that we are going to
set up here next week. One idea we had was to put X11 stuff that works on the
NeXT (including binary) up for ftp, if there was enough interest. Most of
this stuff works by just going in and doing battle with the Makefile and
imake. Also have binary for the ImageMagick by the way.

I also put  Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on sonata.cc.purdue.edu
There is a compiled striped version called bash in the compressed tar archive.
If you want to build it with symbol tables or with -g for debugging, then you
will have to go in and do a make, after changing the appropriate compiler
flag. There is also some (though not much, yet, but it is being worked on)
documentation and a man page.
    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota
--- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (03/25/91)

In article <SIMMONS.91Mar24153818@rigel.neep.wisc.edu> simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:

   I also put  Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on sonata.cc.purdue.edu
   There is a compiled striped version called bash in the compressed tar archive.
   If you want to build it with symbol tables or with -g for debugging, then you
   will have to go in and do a make, after changing the appropriate compiler
   flag. There is also some (though not much, yet, but it is being worked on)
   documentation and a man page.

Where did you get Bash 1.07?  The final version hasn't been released.
Brian Fox went to Germany, and decided not to release it because of a
few bugs.

-Mike

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (03/25/91)

In article <3lcGbh!71@cs.psu.edu> melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D
Mellinger) writes:

   In article <SIMMONS.91Mar24153818@rigel.neep.wisc.edu>
   simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:

      I also put Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on
      sonata.cc.purdue.edu

      [....]

   Where did you get Bash 1.07?  The final version hasn't been released.
   Brian Fox went to Germany, and decided not to release it because of a
   few bugs.

And also, where did you get the CWRU version? I wrote Chet Ramey a
while ago to ask for a copy of it, and was told "

   Sorry, I promised Brian Fox that I would not distribute it, so for
   the time being it is unavailable.  That may change later.

   Chet

Has "later" arrived?

--Steve Anderson

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (03/26/91)

   From: anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 25 Mar 91 12:13:19 GMT
   Sender: news@umd5.umd.edu

   Mellinger) writes:

      In article <SIMMONS.91Mar24153818@rigel.neep.wisc.edu>
      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:

	 I also put Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on
	 sonata.cc.purdue.edu

	 [....]

      Where did you get Bash 1.07?  The final version hasn't been released.
      Brian Fox went to Germany, and decided not to release it because of a
      few bugs.

   And also, where did you get the CWRU version? I wrote Chet Ramey a
   while ago to ask for a copy of it, and was told "

      Sorry, I promised Brian Fox that I would not distribute it, so for
      the time being it is unavailable.  That may change later.

      Chet

   Has "later" arrived?

   --Steve Anderson

Good question. I don't know. I got it from an anonymous ftp site, and i got
the address of that site from the bash newsgroup. The readme said that it had
been compiled and tested on a NeXT 2.0 among other machines. I downloaded it,
made a few changes to get it to do what i wanted, typed make and striped the
executable. It's the shell i'm using now, replacing bash 1.05.

In any case i pulled the stuff that i posted off of the archive. Someone else
can post it when someone else figures out that it is the right time.

chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey) (04/03/91)

>	 I also put Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on
>	 sonata.cc.purdue.edu

This has my blessing, if that is important to anyone.  I have a NeXT, at
least for the time being, so the NeXT will be one of the platforms I
directly support.  I have a hack-around fix for the rlogin problem that
I will distribute in a few days, when I update the copy available for
FTP.

Chet Ramey
--
Chet Ramey				``Now, somehow we've brought our sins
Network Services Group			  back physically -- and they're

simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) (04/03/91)

   From: chet@odin.INS.CWRU.Edu (Chet Ramey)
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 2 Apr 91 21:02:19 GMT
   Sender: news@usenet.ins.cwru.edu

   >	 I also put Bash 1.07 (the case reserve version) on
   >	 sonata.cc.purdue.edu

   This has my blessing, if that is important to anyone.  I have a NeXT, at
   least for the time being, so the NeXT will be one of the platforms I
   directly support.  I have a hack-around fix for the rlogin problem that
   I will distribute in a few days, when I update the copy available for
   FTP.

   Chet Ramey
   --
   Chet Ramey				``Now, somehow we've brought our sins
   Network Services Group			  back physically -- and they're
   Case Western Reserve University		  pissed.''
   chet@ins.CWRU.Edu		My opinions are just those, and mine alone.

Yes your blessing is important, at least to me.
Then i'll put it back on sonata.cc.purdue.edu. So folks, Bash 1.07 (the case
reserve version) is back on sonata.cc.purdue.edu
I'll update as soon as you fix the rlogin problem.