[comp.sys.next] Where does all the MB go?

pfkeb@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz) (04/03/91)

   This is the best answer I got to where all the MegaBytes go with
X server product from penncom...

Date: Tue, 2 Apr 91 09:31:40 CST
From: pensoft!dany@cs.utexas.edu (Dany Guindi)
Subject: Re: co-Xist shipped
To: pfkeb@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz)
Cc: dany@othello

Paul,

60 MBs is a max. It depends on what you buy and install. How is that, well:

the X server itself is only ~1/2 meg BUT X comes with a whole lot of clients, demos, libraries, fonts, man pages and that is where the other ~24.5 meg go.

Motif: mwm is only ~1/2 meg BUT libraries, demos, uil, man pages and you get close to 21.4 meg again.

And then documentation: we have put the X and Motif doc on the digital librarian. Whereas having it on your office would take at least one bookshelf, on the NeXT it takes only ~13meg and it is easily accessible.

The standard MIT X distribution warns people of the amount of disk space needed. We decided to provide you with the executables and let you decide what you wanted to shed instead of making the decision for you.

If you like I can give you instruction as to how to get the  minimum configuration so as to get co-Xist and only take less than 7 meg.

If you have any other questions please feel free to send them my way!

--dany
pensoft!dany@cs.utexas.edu
512-343-1111