[net.followup] We can change the world!

figmo@tymix.UUCP (Lynn Gold) (09/27/85)

> I want us Usenet junkies to be able to say to our grandchildren, "See that!
> See that box of Cheese Triscuit there!  When Usenet and I were young, we put
> that there.  We created that.  The Usenet is strong!  Don't mess with us."
>
> So let's begin a massive letter writing campaign.  Thousands of letters from
> coast-to-coast.  Computer-printed forms, hand-written scribbles from little
> old ladies, pen plotted simulations of hand-written scribbles from little old
> ladies, whatever you can come up with.  JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT
> USENET.
>
> Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

While we're at it, how about writing to Kraft and requesting Low-sodium
Velveeta?  I like cooking with the stuff, but I've always found it to
be too salty.

--Lynn Gold
...tymix!figmo

nemo@rochester.UUCP (Wolfe) (09/27/85)

> Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project...
> The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit. ...

How about encouraging dairies to put buttermilk in pints or half pints
for those of us who use small amounts for baking occaissionally?  We
usually end up tossing about half of each quart container.  They do it
with cream, so why not buttermilk?
Also, why not let them know about usenet?  It could be a pretty powerful
thing to be able to say that of a representative sample of 100K people
80% would buy X over Y, or want X on their grocery (and pantry) shelf.
Nemo
--
Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo

barrys@hercules.UUCP (Barry Steel) (09/27/85)

What a GROSS idea!  Who gives a **** about Nabisco crackers anyway?

Dumb, very dumb...

barry steel

carl@proper.UUCP (Carl Greenberg) (09/28/85)

In article <> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
>that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
>affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
>250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?
>
>The project is Cheese Triscuit.
>So let's begin a massive letter writing campaign.  Thousands of letters from
>coast-to-coast.  Computer-printed forms, hand-written scribbles from little
>old ladies, pen plotted simulations of hand-written scribbles from little old
>ladies, whatever you can come up with.  JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT
>USENET.
OK, just post us a shell script that asks for our names and addresses and
automatically prints out the request forms.  Or make it just read all the
names from /etc/passwd and print out as many requests that all it needs are
signatures....
						Carl Greenberg

george@sysvis (09/30/85)

/***** sysvis:net.general / druri.UUC!jhs / 11:00 pm  Oct  2, 1985 */
> ...JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT USENET!

Right, Mark. You can be sure the secret is safe
with all 250,000 of us! Mum's the word.

Boy, are WE going to surprise THEM! Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee Hee!
/* ---------- */

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (09/30/85)

> Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
> that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
> affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
> 250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?
> The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.  So far,
> Nabisco has had a damn good cracker called Triscuit.  A few years ago,
> they introduced a new form, Low Salt Triscuit.  I propose that our project
> be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.
> Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

Sounds great. Exept I'd like it to be free of artificial colors and
flavors.

george@sysvis (09/30/85)

> Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
> that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
> affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
> 250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?
>
> We must have a project that is an adequate demonstration of our power.  But
> at the same time, we must not bite off more than we can chew (otherwise
                                >----------------------------< really good! >
> we'll be demonstrating our LACK of power).
                             >-----------<  LICK of powder? > *(sigh)*
> So let's begin a massive letter writing campaign.  Thousands of letters from
> coast-to-coast.  Computer-printed forms, hand-written scribbles from little
> ladies, whatever you can come up with.  JUST DON'T LET NABISCO KNOW ABOUT
> USENET.

Yeah! Yeah!  Hear! Hear! (And while we've got some rope, let's hang 'im
before the sheriff gets here.)   ;-)   Except I don't like Triscuits, like,
you know, Yuckkkk!  Let's keep crumb-rousing off of the net!  Hear! Hear!

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (10/02/85)

In article <279@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
>that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
>affect the conduct of daily life in this country...

Sounds good so far...

>The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.

I can't believe this guy.  Is he serious?  What a stupid idea.

berger@datacube.UUCP (10/02/85)

This would only work if there was a cheap gateway from Usenet to US Mail...

marvinm@ttidcb.UUCP (Marvin Moskowitz) (10/03/85)

In article <279@weitek.UUCP> mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) writes:
>Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project
>that would be a perfect demonstration of the degree to which Usenet can
>affect the conduct of daily life in this country.  We now reach 100K to
>250K people with the network.  Do we control the country, yet?  Can we?
>
>We must have a project that is an adequate demonstration of our power.  But
>at the same time, we must not bite off more than we can chew (otherwise
>we'll be demonstrating our LACK of power).
>
>The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit.  So far,
>Nabisco has had a damn good cracker called Triscuit.  A few years ago,
>they introduced a new form, Low Salt Triscuit.  I propose that our project
>be to force Nabisco to introduce another form of Triscuit, Cheese Triscuit.
>
>Mark Thorson (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

If you want us to get Cheese triscuits for you, Mark, you have to supply
the address. Some of us netters aren't allowed away from our terminals
without calling the guards to release the leg irons (=:

Marv Moskowitz

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (10/03/85)

mikel@codas.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (10/04/85)

> > Okay guys, let's test the power of the net.  I've come up with a project...
> > The project is Cheese Triscuit.  That's right, Cheese Triscuit. ...
>
> How about encouraging dairies to put buttermilk in pints or half pints
> for those of us who use small amounts for baking occaissionally?  We
> usually end up tossing about half of each quart container.  They do it
> with cream, so why not buttermilk?
> Also, why not let them know about usenet?  It could be a pretty powerful
> thing to be able to say that of a representative sample of 100K people
> 80% would buy X over Y, or want X on their grocery (and pantry) shelf.
> Nemo
> --
> Internet:	nemo@rochester.arpa
> UUCP:		{decvax, allegra, seismo, cmcl2}!rochester!nemo
> Phone:		[USA] (716) 275-5766 school 232-4690 home
> USMail:		104 Tremont Circle; Rochester, NY  14608
> School:		Department of Computer Science; University of Rochester;
> 		Rochester, NY  14627

First of all, don't be too sure they don't already know.
Second, "Keep a good thing a secret", I can just imagine some
idiot "managment type" who's trying to do nothing but make points
with his/her "managment type" start flooding the net with all sorts
of surveys and eventyally (unix forbid) - COMERCIALS!
--
                                        =======
     Mikel Manitius                   ==----=====    AT&T