[comp.sys.next] Tex on NeXTstation using HP series II

mahmoud@csun10.cs.uh.edu () (04/02/91)

I am using TeX on NeXTstation (040 and NS2.0). For my printing
I use a HP series II with 2.5 Mbyte and an Adobe postscript
cartrage. I noticed that my output using dvips is pretty bad.
I first thought that I was running out of toner but when I
printed the same text using writenow with the same size font
the output was fine.  Has anyone noticed this problem...
                                    ahmed

nwc@galileo.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) (04/02/91)

Well... I noticed that a document looks WORLDS better if you view it with
TeXview vs. using dvips and Preview....

I thought that was odd.

\n
--
 \n
 	Nicholas Christopher (212) 464-3837

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (04/02/91)

In article <NWC.91Apr1153244@galileo.shearson.com> nwc@sisyphus.shearson.com writes:
>Well... I noticed that a document looks WORLDS better if you view it with
>TeXview vs. using dvips and Preview....
>I thought that was odd.

Odd perhaps, but not unexpected.  dvips makes a PostScript file with
imbedded bitmap fonts for a 400 dpi device.  If you Preview that file,
PostScript will attempt to render those bitmaps on the 92 (?) dpi
screen, but not do a very good job.  TeXview, on the other hand, calls
Metafont to make bitmaps for the screen's resolution, which look just
fine.

This also explains the other fellow's problem, which was he was trying
to print a PostScript file with 400 dpi fonts on a 300 dpi printer.
Again, PostScript allows this, but can only do so well.  The fix is to
use -D300 on the dvips command line to get Metafont to make fonts of the
correct size.

(By the way, the other fellow's mail address bounced my response, hence
this posting.)

Then it looks simply lovely.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.172647.6639@menudo.uh.edu> mahmoud@csun10.cs.uh.edu writes:

""
""   I am using TeX on NeXTstation (040 and NS2.0). For my printing
""   I use a HP series II with 2.5 Mbyte and an Adobe postscript
""   cartrage. I noticed that my output using dvips is pretty bad.
""   I first thought that I was running out of toner but when I
""   printed the same text using writenow with the same size font
""   the output was fine.  Has anyone noticed this problem...
""				       ahmed
 Dvips is convinced that your printer can do 400 dpi!
I fyou are using TeXview, do the following:
In the print menu set the CUSTOM RESOLUTION to 300 dpi and also  push
the custom resolution button.  You may want to dwrite this to texview;

If you are using dvips "by hand" modify the config.ps file (either in
our home or in /usr/lib/tex/ps ) as follows:

*
*   With a virtual machine, we can claim 1M of memory.
*
m 1000000
*
*   And send output by default to a PostScript file.
*
o !lpr -PLaserJetIIP
*
*   Default resolution.
*
D 300
*  Switch off page reversal
r 0
*   Last resort sizes.
*
R 100 120 144 300 360 400 432 480

(you can also make a  config.LaserJetIIP -- or whatever you call your
laserjet -- file; it is described in the Manual).

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

preston@LL.MIT.EDU (Steven Preston) (04/03/91)

When I upgraded my 030 cube to version 2.0, I decided to re-init the
hard disk.  I backed up every file that wasn't on the 1.0 floptical,
except for the TeX stuff.

After the init-disk, I executed Install_TeX, which also (apparently)
unpacked some fonts.  But those fonts looked AWFUL.  So I deleted all
of them and ran the "create font" script, and then the output looked
great.

Has anyone else noticed this?
--
Steve Preston

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/04/91)

If the fots looked awful on the laserjet it was because you did not
tell dvips that the resolution is 300 and not 400 (see config.ps).

Hardy