[comp.sys.next] graphics in WriteNow 2.0

silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov (SILBAR, RICHARD R.) (03/28/91)

Peculiar thing happened yesterday when I tried to look at a WriteNow
file that I put together under OS 1.0.  It had a logo in it, an EPS
file that I had made using YAP, that was left in a "shown" state, i.e.,
appeared on-screen as a picture, not a hidden graphic.  Under 2.0,
however, it opens up with the graphic hidden.  And (unlike the situation,
say, with NextAnswer misc.457.wn), clicking hide and show graphics in
the menu does not bring it up.  (It also prints as hidden, of course;
WYSIWIG.)

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Any known cures?

To compound the mystery, I tried placing the offending graphic (the
file logo.eps) in a NEW WriteNow document, and in this case, all that
shows up on the screen is a small dot.  Which I cannot expand to a visible
size, so I don't KNOW if it is hidden or shown.  Is this proper behavior?

Further (but smaller) mystery: copying and pasting the graphic from the
original document to the new one does not solve anything.

   Dick Silbar

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) (03/29/91)

In article <19419@lanl.gov> silbar@mpx2.lampf.lanl.gov writes:
>Peculiar thing happened yesterday when I tried to look at a WriteNow
>file that I put together under OS 1.0.  It had a logo in it, an EPS
>file that I had made using YAP ...
>Under 2.0 ... it opens up with the graphic hidden.

Your .eps file probably isn't a totally valid; ie, it's missing some
required component in the header or the bounding box. Under 1.0, WriteNow
parsed .eps files itself; under 2.0, it uses NeXTstep's .eps parser, which is
somewhat more sensitive about errors.

Your 1.0 WriteNow document knew the image size, so under 2.0 the area the
image would've occupied is shown correctly, although the image isn't displayed.
When you try to put the image in a new document using 2.0 WriteNow, the file
isn't parsed, so WriteNow never even finds out about the bounding box.
That explains the mystery of why your original document has some idea of
the size of the image and why a new one doesn't.

Your .eps file should minimally have something like the following in its
header:

%!PS-Adobe-2.0
 ... possibly other lines starting with %% ...
%%BoundingBox: 100 20 600 750

Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com

drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) (04/04/91)

aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) writes:

> Your .eps file probably isn't a totally valid; ie, it's missing some
> required component in the header or the bounding box. Under 1.0, WriteNow
> parsed .eps files itself; under 2.0, it uses NeXTstep's .eps parser, which is
> somewhat more sensitive about errors.
>
> Your 1.0 WriteNow document knew the image size, so under 2.0 the area the
> image would've occupied is shown correctly, although the image isn't displaye
> When you try to put the image in a new document using 2.0 WriteNow, the file
> isn't parsed, so WriteNow never even finds out about the bounding box.
> That explains the mystery of why your original document has some idea of
> the size of the image and why a new one doesn't.
>
> Your .eps file should minimally have something like the following in its
> header:
>
> %!PS-Adobe-2.0
>  ... possibly other lines starting with %% ...
> %%BoundingBox: 100 20 600 750

> Ali, Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com

Is that the ONLY difference between .ps and .eps files? Right now I'm
trying to convert WriteNow .ps files to .eps to import them into an Amiga
DTP package that will handle .eps (I don't have a NeXT printer yet) and
print them out. I've been told that the only difference is in the header,
and if it's a matter of putting the BoundingBox at the beginning, rather
than (atend), great. If it's more than that, can you (or anyone else)
tell me what it is?

Thanks,

-drin

Adrian Smith             ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca
Edmonton Remote Systems:  Serving Northern Alberta since 1982

ly@neon.Stanford.EDU (Eric Ly) (04/04/91)

In article <3LBuZ1w164w@ersys.uucp> ersys!drin@nro.cs.athabascau.ca (Adrian Smith) writes:
>>aozer@next.com (Ali Ozer) writes:
>> Your .eps file probably isn't a totally valid; ie, it's missing some
>> required component in the header or the bounding box. Under 1.0, WriteNow
[...]
>Is that the ONLY difference between .ps and .eps files? Right now I'm
>trying to convert WriteNow .ps files to .eps to import them into an Amiga
>DTP package that will handle .eps (I don't have a NeXT printer yet) and
[...]

There's a document in recent versions of NextAnswers that describes
most of the major differences between PS and EPS files.  There's
definitely more than just the bounding box thing that you will have to
fix.  Among other things, certain operators are not allowed in EPS
files, which seems like a potential roadblock in your conversion.

						Eric Ly
						CSD, Stanford University