[net.auto] Heaven and Hell

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (01/08/86)

If I were given a car in Heaven I would have to say it would
be a 67 427 Cobra, something about that car I never got over.

As for the car all people get in Hell it's easy.  You get a
Vega and you have to fix it yourself (there is something wrong
with an engine made completely out of recycled beer cans!).

The opinions expressed here are for the most part totally
indistinguishable from those that are expressed during any
trip while using the infinite improbability drive.

Odds 2,234,847 to 1 against, and falling.

                -Pete-

In article <612@ttidcb.UUCP>, bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) writes:
>If I were given a car in Heaven I would have to say it would
>be a 67 427 Cobra, something about that car I never got over.
>
>As for the car all people get in Hell it's easy.  You get a
>Vega and you have to fix it yourself (there is something wrong
>with an engine made completely out of recycled beer cans!).
>

>The opinions expressed here are for the most part totally
>indistinguishable from those that are expressed during any
>trip while using the infinite improbability drive.
>
>Odds 2,234,847 to 1 against, and falling.
>
>                -Pete-

Aw shux this article is short, why bother trimming it :-)

I've been waiting on this 'heaven and hell' discussion for someone to
lambast the Vega.  Yeah I'd allow they were among the worst Chevys ever
failure-wise.  But I would still say that if I _HAD_ to fix my own car, I'd
choose a '75 or '76 Vega over almost anything else of that vintage (or even
today) for ease of accessibility to most everything under the hood (marred only
by that you can't get the oil pan off with the engine in place without
partially disassembling the front end).  The block and head are light enough
to lift out MANUALLY if you lift them separately (while for safety reasons I
would not advocate doing this as a rule, still try THAT with your Nova,
Cobra, or whatever other iron you're partial to if you're not an Olympic
weight lifter :-).  For weekend-mechanic-friendliness it sure beats the
plumber's nightmares of the '80s and even most of the '70s pre-pollution
models.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy

dbp@dataioDataio.UUCP (Dave Pellerin) (01/15/86)

>>As for the car all people get in Hell it's easy.  You get a
>>Vega and you have to fix it yourself (there is something wrong
>>with an engine made completely out of recycled beer cans!).
>
>I've been waiting on this 'heaven and hell' discussion for someone to
>lambast the Vega.  Yeah I'd allow they were among the worst Chevys ever
>failure-wise.  But I would still say that if I _HAD_ to fix my own car, I'd
>choose a '75 or '76 Vega over almost anything else of that vintage ...

^------ Another satisfied Vega owner :-) !!

Having owned four Vegas in my time (a '74 kamback, '72 GT, '71 hatch,
and a '71 that I swapped a 215 CI V8 into) I can report that the Vega
is one of the most under-rated used car deals in existence!

Example:  You can buy a good used Vega GT (not badly rusted) for around $500,
put a sleeved engine in for another $400 (shortblock and head) and have
a really dependable car that is very easy to work on.  Parts are very cheap
for Vegas, they get 25 miles to the gallon, and the 2300 cc engine gives
a respectable 100+ horsepower (GT version).

Or:  Buy the same car (1973 or later), get a conversion kit from D & D
Fabrications ($300) and drop in a 215 Olds V8 ($200-600).  160-200 HP with
a 50 pound weight penalty!

The only problem with Vegas -- well, Ok one of the problems is their
habit of overheating.  The solution is to put in a larger radiator
(from a junkyard car that had air-conditioning) and an oil cooler.

Once a Vega overheats, it is dead,dead,dead!

			- Dave Pellerin

		uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!dbp

halb@tekig5.UUCP (Hal Bates) (01/15/86)

In article <893@dataioDataio.UUCP> dbp@dataio.UUCP (Dave Pellerin writes:
>>>As for the car all people get in Hell it's easy.  You get a
>>>Vega and you have to fix it yourself (there is something wrong
>>>with an engine made completely out of recycled beer cans!).
>>
>>I've been waiting on this 'heaven and hell' discussion for someone to
>>lambast the Vega.  Yeah I'd allow they were among the worst Chevys ever
>>failure-wise.  But I would still say that if I _HAD_ to fix my own car, I'd
>>choose a '75 or '76 Vega over almost anything else of that vintage ...
>
>^------ Another satisfied Vega owner :-) !!
>
>Having owned four Vegas in my time (a '74 kamback, '72 GT, '71 hatch,
>and a '71 that I swapped a 215 CI V8 into) I can report that the Vega
>is one of the most under-rated used car deals in existence!
>
>Example:  You can buy a good used Vega GT (not badly rusted) for around $500,
>put a sleeved engine in for another $400 (shortblock and head) and have
>a really dependable car that is very easy to work on.  Parts are very cheap
>for Vegas, they get 25 miles to the gallon, and the 2300 cc engine gives
>a respectable 100+ horsepower (GT version).
>
>Or:  Buy the same car (1973 or later), get a conversion kit from D & D
>Fabrications ($300) and drop in a 215 Olds V8 ($200-600).  160-200 HP with
>a 50 pound weight penalty!
>
>The only problem with Vegas -- well, Ok one of the problems is their
>habit of overheating.  The solution is to put in a larger radiator
>(from a junkyard car that had air-conditioning) and an oil cooler.
>
>Once a Vega overheats, it is dead,dead,dead!
>

>			- Dave Pellerin
>
>		uw-beaver!entropy!dataio!dbp

I never thought I would live to hear someone praise the Vega. But I have
read more than one article doing just that.

But.....

I knew a guy who liked his pet rock. Must be the same thought process.

tektronix!tekig5!halb