[comp.sys.next] How to make your external HD power up with computer

isca@icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) (04/04/91)

  With the nifty keyboard power switch, I found it annoying to have to
dig under my desk and power on my external HD so.... I fixed it up so
that when I power up or down my NeXTstation, my external HD does the
same.  I thought others might be interested in this as it is a rather
easy hardware hack.
  The way to do this is to attach a relay to the SCSI terminator power
lines on the SCSI interface.  I highly suggest that you use a solid state
relay so that you don't introduce spikes on the line. (I used a Potter &
Brumfield # SSRT-120-D10 available for $15.75 from Molstad Distributing
1-800-831-0932).  Attach Pin 26 of the SCSI interface to the + control
and pin 20 (GND) to the - control of the relay.  Then just cut the wire
from your power switch and put the load side of the relay between them.

  Finished product looks like:
                         ++++++++++++++++++++++           SCSI Interface
       Power Out --------|- 2 Load       + 3 -|------------ Pin 26
    (to power supply)    |         Relay      |
       Power IN ---------|- 1 Line       - 4 -|------------ Pin 20
    (from power switch)  ++++++++++++++++++++++

 -- Dave
|  David Lacey                           | Try the ISCA BBS and Archives    |
|  President, Iowa Student Computer Assn | Telnet/FTP: isca.icaen.uiowa.edu |
|  The University of Iowa                | telnet/rlogin in as iscabbs      |
|  isca@icaen.uiowa.edu                  | 1.3 GIG of disk space and growing|

rgc@wam.umd.edu (Ross Garrett Cutler) (04/04/91)

In article <5244@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> isca@icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) writes:

>  With the nifty keyboard power switch, I found it annoying to have to
>dig under my desk and power on my external HD so.... I fixed it up so
>that when I power up or down my NeXTstation, my external HD does the
>same.  I thought others might be interested in this as it is a rather
>easy hardware hack.

[ hack deleted ]

Nice hack.  But for people who don't wan't to splice their SCSI cable,
you can buy a Radio Shack surge supressor that has the following feature:
it monitors one line, and if sufficient current is being drawn, it turns
the other 5 lines on; otherwise, they're off.  So you plug your NeXT into
this special line and your drive and printer (and ...) into the others.
It only cost ~ $50 and it protects your computer too.  Radio Shack still
has a few good products... :-)
--
Please email -- I'll summarize.
Ross Cutler