[comp.sys.next] the latest update about Upgrade

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/02/91)

I am having MORE UNPLEASANT experience with MAP, Local NeXT Rep and NeXT when
I am talking about upgrade with them.

First of all, I must clear up something. I bought my 030 cube from U of
Washington at Seattle, not here at U of MD, so anythin I refered to "my"
campus rep, "my" local rep, I am refering to the campus rep at U of W, and
local rep at Seattle.

Ok,I called NeXT again, and finally I was transfered to some one who
"knows" something about who's getting upgrades and who's not. It was
very clear that they've shipped "ALL" UofW's orders, and there's no
such record saying I am getting any upgrade. Since I am REALLY tired
of being kicked around, I asked him if they can ship upgrade directly to me.
He said he can't, and he added that it doesn't make any difference to "NeXT"
if I get upgrade or not, that's not their (NeXT) business. He also said that
I have to ask my campus rep to order that upgrade for me. (what an attitude...)

I called MAP, campus rep, right after that call. After I described my situation
to them, they said, they have no idea how they should deal with that. They
also said NeXT must screw up things and asked me to call NeXT, and that was
the "BEST" they could do for me. I gave them the phone number of the person
at NeXT I just talked to, they said, no, they can't make that call, that's long
distance call. Ok, so I said, that they can always call NeXT' 1800 number and
ask to be transfered to certain person. Then they said, they are waiting for
a call from NeXT, they will ask NeXT when they get the call.

So far, didn't hear a ring from my phone (hey, I even bought an answering
machine for that purpose!) I've spend over $30 bucks just making all these
long distance calls to Seattle's campus rep, and Seattle's local rep, and
perhaps hours of talking. Any body tell me how can I get my upgrade?

My friends and roommates recommanded me to sue NeXT, any suggestions?
					  ==========
I myself is really tired of all these troubles I am going thru. The only
reason for me to buy my cube in U of W was because it came with free
upgrade (but I paid way much more anyway :-(  I mean, if they really
don't wanna give me my upgrade, I want a full refund and return my cube.

I AM TIRED, AND PERIOD.

to summarize a little bit about the history, I ordered my 030 cube on July 7th
1990 under the deal of getting free upgrade ASA upgrade is generally available.
Since then, they've told me that I'd receive my upgrade in Nov 90, Jan 91,
mar 91. Now that it's Apr 91, I still don't get anything. NeXT is not
keeping their promise, at least, to me.

Is someone out there trying to force me commit suicide?

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      @wam.umd.edu      	o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD

declan@romulus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (04/02/91)

(Chun-Yao Liao) writes:

> I AM TIRED, AND PERIOD.
>
> to summarize a little bit about the history, I ordered my 030 cube on July7th
> 1990 under the deal of getting free upgrade ASA upgrade is available
> Since then, they've told me that I'd receive my upgrade in Nov 90, Jan 91,
> mar 91. Now that it's Apr 91, I still don't get anything. NeXT is not
> keeping their promise, at least, to me.

Let me say a word or two in NeXT's defense, since it's unlikely that
they'll defend themselves here.  NeXT is a small company, and most
people do the jobs that two or three people would at other companies -
they DO try their best; they're just really busy.  They've also
recently moved their order management facility to Fremont, presumably
to be closer to the factory.  Some of your problems may stem from
that.

I'm not aware of any purchasing option as of last summer in which you
could buy an 030 cube and get a free 040 upgrade.  There was something
last fall, though.  Perhaps your local NeXT representatives aren't
familiar with it either, if it was something specific to your (old)
university.  Just guessing...

In any case, some aspects of this are inexcusable.  Also, I'm afraid
you're out the $30 you spent.  I do hope you get your upgrade ASAP -
you've waited long enough for it.  Keep in touch with NeXT, and call
that 800 number daily.  That seems to work for me and other people I
know.

Good luck...

> Is someone out there trying to force me commit suicide?

Do you REALLY want the answer to that?  $-)

-Declan

mdixon@parc.xerox.com (Mike Dixon) (04/03/91)

for the record, i had similar problems getting our upgrades (NeXT
said they'd shipped all Stanford's upgrades, Stanford denied having
received them, and Stanford wouldn't give me the PO number so that
NeXT could confirm my order), but when i finally got through to
NeXT they were very apologetic and went out of their way to make
sure our order got through.  there was absolutely no suggestion that
it "didn't make any difference to them" -- quite the opposite.

i'd suggest finding out who your regional sales manager is at NeXT
and sending them direct email.
--

                                             .mike.

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr2.035720.15911@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>I am having MORE UNPLEASANT experience with MAP, Local NeXT Rep and NeXT when
>I am talking about upgrade with them.
[stuff deleted]

	Thanx for Declan who replied and offered help (and you were right,
	I received e-mails from NeXT right on the next day)
	Right now they should be working on my case, many thanx
	to Peter Schofield, and specially Randy Heffner.

	I will post a summary once I get my upgrade.

	Thanx for everyone who replied!