[comp.sys.next] Why did 2.0 munge telnet?

mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) (04/03/91)

	I just installed 2.0 on our '030 cube, and have run into a rather
annoying problem.  It seems that when logging into the NeXT from a vt100
emulation, ksh no longer scrolls through the command history correctly.
	BEFORE 2.0 you could press 'esc' and then 'k' would display the
previous command line.  Press 'k' again and you get the command line before
that, etc.
	NOW if you press 'esc' and then 'k' the line remains blank.  If you
continue pressing 'k' you start getting k's on your input line.  If you just
do 'esc' 'k' ONCE, and press return, the previous command line is re-executed.

	Since this problem only seems to occur under 'telnet' I have to assume
that 'telnet' is changed under 2.0.  Since this behaviour renders telnet darn
well useless, WHAT was changed, does it NEED to be changed, and can I get away
with running 1.0 telnet under 2.0?

	-- C P.
	mrush@cscihp.ecst.csuchico.edu

hoodr@syscube.ccs.csus.edu (Robert Hood) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr03.025943.14365@ecst.csuchico.edu> mrush@ecst.csuchico.edu (Matt "C P." Rush) writes:

>	Since this problem only seems to occur under 'telnet' I have to assume
>that 'telnet' is changed under 2.0.  Since this behaviour renders telnet darn
>well useless, WHAT was changed, does it NEED to be changed, and can I get away
>with running 1.0 telnet under 2.0?

To 'fix' this, put 'stty -extproc' in your .login (.profile?).  You may need
'stty crt' too...I forget.  Anybody know what -extproc is?

NeXT said it isn't fixed in 2.1 either.

--
Robert Hood - Network and Operating Systems Support
  California State University: Sacramento

There have been two releases of the telnet software since the
4.3-reno versions that NeXT used.  If I come up with something
that works better than what NeXT distributed with 2.0, I'll post
to comp.sys.next.

stty -extproc   explicitly disables LINEMODE telnet--this is
something one normally doesn't want to do (assuming that the
software is working correctly).

					-=EPS=-