[comp.sys.next] Sumary: synchronous scsi

ph600fbj@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (james dehnert) (04/02/91)

  Fisrt of all, thanks to all who responded, especially Mike Perka
at NeXT and Rory Bolt who wrote the SCSI Formatter utility for
Fujitsu M226XS drives (and Common Command Set generic drives as well)
who supplied most all of the information I required.

  I am just going to put things the way i got them to avoud
confusion (by me) of what many of us want to know, so..

                   First from NeXT,

1) The SCSI drivers on NeXT systems do -not- support synchronous
transfers across the SCSI bus.  The drivers do support "synchronous
devices" -- in asynchronous transfer mode.  All SCSI devices that
support synchronous transfers must support asynchronous transfers
as well.  The reverse is not true.

                   and from  Rory Bolt,

2) Do not attemp to install the synchronous transfer jumper. It will
not damage anything if you do, however, your disk will not be bootable.
Removing the jumper will make your disk bootable again. All this jumper
does is enable the drive to initiate the synchronous transfer negotiation.
Even though the 040 NeXTs are SCSI-II, they do not support targets which
initiate the negotiation.
With the jumper removed the drive still supports synchronous
transfers, but the host must initiate the negotiation (which the NeXT
does). If you insert the jumper the NeXT will complain about unexpected
messages (which are the drive trying to negotiate synchronous transfers).

3) No, you will not have to reformat your drive.

  I hope this is enough info for everyone.\

  Thanks again to all who responded,
				   Zeke

lclarke@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Lawrence Clarke) (04/05/91)

ph600fbj@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (james dehnert) writes:

>   Fisrt of all, thanks to all who responded, especially Mike Perka
> at NeXT and Rory Bolt who wrote the SCSI Formatter utility for
> Fujitsu M226XS drives (and Common Command Set generic drives as well)
> who supplied most all of the information I required.

Where can I get the SCSI Formatter program from?

 *  lawrence_clarke@questor.uucp  |  c/o TRIUMF Operations Group     *
 *  larry@erich.triumf.ca         |  University of British Columbia  *
 *  Compuserve: 70441,1776        |  4004 Wesbrook Mall              *
 *  Phone: +1 604 275-5902        |  Vancouver, British Columbia     *
 *  FAX:   +1 604 275-4184        |  Canada  V6T 2A3                 *