[comp.sys.next] TeX on the NeXT;

preston@ll.mit.edu (Steven Preston) (04/06/91)

> If the fonts looked awful on the laserjet it was because you did not
> tell dvips that the resolution is 300 and not 400 (see config.ps).

Sorry for the confusion but I have the NeXT printer, not the HP.
I should have altered the Subject line.

I have since found out, by "printing" the file /usr/tex/ntman.dvi,
that my /usr/lib/tex/ps/config.ps file, which dvips looks at,
had these lines in it:
*
*   Last resort sizes.
*
R 100 120 144 300 360 400 432 480

The manual page for dvips is OUT OF DATE.  It does not tell what the
"R" command is for.  The "ntman" document DOES explain the "R" and
many other config-file commands (and command-line switches).  So, if
you use TeX/dvips on the NeXT, you should print this document.

It says that the "R" line sets up a list of default resolutions to
search for pk fonts, if the requested size is not available.  It also
says it will issue a warning when this is necessary.

I don't remember any warning, but dvips may have had to build *some*
fonts, which produced too much clutter to notice any warnings.

Anyway, I changed the config.ps file to turn off this feature.

I have also updated my copy of the manual page for dvips.
--
Steve Preston