[comp.sys.next] SUMMARY: Slip Survey

jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille) (04/05/91)

Some time ago I posted a request for information from anyone who was
using, or trying to use SLIP.  Well, I promised a summary to the net,
so here it is.  Sorry this is late; I got swamped shortly after my
last posting.

I got a number of responses to my post, most of which were of the
'I want it too' variety.

One person (who shall remain nameless to avoid email inundation) said
they managed to get SLIP working under 1.0.  However, he said the
upgrade to 2.0 broke it, and they hadn't yet managed to get back where
they had been under 1.0.

No one else reported *any* success with SLIP, either under 1.0 or 2.0.
Two other people reported trying with no success.

That's about it.  Sorry I don't have more useful stuff to report.
I'll let you know if I manage to get anything working...

Jon Cargille
jcargill@cs.wisc.edu

clp@home.HarvardSq.COM (Charles L. Perkins) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.002745.17215@spool.cs.wisc.edu> jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu
(Jon Cargille) writes:

> Some time ago I posted a request for information from anyone who was
> using, or trying to use SLIP.....

Besides the public SLIPs out there, Marble Associates has announced a fully
 supported version of slip called Marble Teleconnect, the beginning of a
 (hopefully long) line of Apps eventually spanning PPP and future WAN stuff.

I could post the technical details, or submit to the archives a copy of the
 press blurb;  I didn't know how much info. was appropriate since I work for
 them...you can call (617) 891-5555 or E-mail to slip@marble.com for details.

									Charles