In article <1991Apr6.135650.433@hulaw1.harvard.edu> roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

   From: roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu
   Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
   Date: 6 Apr 91 18:56:50 GMT

   I went out to dinner last night and left my station purring away happy as a
   kitten. When I came home two hours later it was off -- and wouldn't turn back
   on. I checked with people in the building, and there were definitely no power
   problems, and I have a good surge protector besides (which hadn't gone off).
   Now the thing won't go back on and I'm very very unhappy. If anyone can offer
   any help at all, please call me collect at 617-493-9111.  Thanx.

	   Tony Roth

	   Please don't send any e-mail as it will be forwarded to my dead
   machine.

Had the same exact thing happen to my machine and to another machine on
another floor about a week before my machine died. It was the power supply in
both cases. Took it over to repair and they replaced the power supply. We
were wondering if there was a quality control problem with the power supply
or something. I sure hope not. Any other data points out there. By the way,
the same power strip that my NeXT was attached to also has a Vaxstation 3200
attached to it. That and everything else was O.K. but the NeXTstation was
dead.
    Internet:      simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu
    Othernet:      simmons@hoofers.lake.mendota
--- ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
According to the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy, the one thing we
 *cannot* afford to have is a sense of perspective.

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/07/91)

In article <SIMMONS.91Apr6150149@rigel.neep.wisc.edu>
simmons@rigel.neep.wisc.edu (Kim Simmons) writes:

]In article <1991Apr6.135650.433@hulaw1.harvard.edu>
]roth2@hulaw1.harvard.edu writes:

][NeXTstation died of power failure]

]Had the same exact thing happen to my machine and to another machine on
]another floor about a week before my machine died. It was the power supply in
]both cases. Took it over to repair and they replaced the power supply. We
]were wondering if there was a quality control problem with the power supply
]or something. I sure hope not. Any other data points out there. By the way,
]the same power strip that my NeXT was attached to also has a Vaxstation 3200
]attached to it. That and everything else was O.K. but the NeXTstation was
]dead.

I was talking yesterday to the guy who runs the Computer
Repair Service at our place (probably where Kim got his
machine fixed).  He says they're replacing power supplies in
quite a few NeXTstations these days.  Must be either a small
design flaw or a quality control issue by the supplier, I
guess.

--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson