[comp.sys.next] How to launch Console at login?

IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) (04/06/91)

Hi,

    I apologize if this has already been discussed in this newsgroup.

     How do I set my Cube to launch a Console window every time I login?

         Thanks in advance for any help,              venky.

 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$           **************************************
 $  T.C.A.VENKATESAN $           *EMAIL : IO92395@MAINE.EDU           *
 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$           *        VENKY@GANDALF.UMCS.MAINE.EDU*
                                 **************************************

DEPT. OF PHYSICS AND ASTRONOMY,   TEL.NO. : (207) 581-1022 (OFF.)
UNIV. OF MAINE,                             (207) 866-3274 (RES.)
ORONO, MAINE 04469.

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/07/91)

In article <91095.190050IO92395@MAINE.BITNET>
IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) writes:

>How do I set my Cube to launch a Console window every time
>I login?

Oh goody, one I can answer, and it's a gorgeous Sunday
morning too.  Must be my lucky day!

In the Workspace, open Tools and click Console.  Miniaturize
the console and drag its icon into the dock.  (You could
find that icon in the Browser, too, if you knew where to
look; I don't.)  In the Workspace Preferences dock menu,
click the console icon so it has a checkmark.  Close that
menu.  Console will be launched on your subsequent logins.

<> It is an interesting question how far men would retain
<> their relative rank if they were divested of their
<> clothes. -- H.D. Thoreau
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/08/91)

Jess Anderson writes
> In article <91095.190050IO92395@MAINE.BITNET>
> IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) writes:
>
> >How do I set my Cube to launch a Console window every time
> >I login?
>
> Oh goody, one I can answer, and it's a gorgeous Sunday
> morning too.  Must be my lucky day!
>
> In the Workspace, open Tools and click Console.  Miniaturize
> the console and drag its icon into the dock.

There's only one problem with this.  It doesn't work.  At least
as far as I know (and have tested) you can't drag window icons or
documents into the dock.  They have to be applications.  How did
you get this to work, Jess?

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/08/91)

In article <472@heaven.woodside.ca.us>
glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

>Jess Anderson writes
>> In article <91095.190050IO92395@MAINE.BITNET>
>> IO92395@MAINE.BITNET (T.C.A.Venkatesan) writes:

>> >How do I set my Cube to launch a Console window every time
>> >I login?

>> Oh goody, one I can answer, and it's a gorgeous Sunday
>> morning too.  Must be my lucky day!

Wrong-o!!

>> In the Workspace, open Tools and click Console.  Miniaturize
>> the console and drag its icon into the dock.

>There's only one problem with this.  It doesn't work.  At least
>as far as I know (and have tested) you can't drag window icons or
>documents into the dock.  They have to be applications.  How did
>you get this to work, Jess?

See what I get for thinking I knew something?  What was *for
sure* was that I had done it, but I misremembered how I did
it.

This is a good reason to be a packrat, for I bethought myself,
"damn, where *did* I get that from?"  "Aha, I bet I got it
from this very newsgroup," and sure enough, I found it.   With
apologies to all for the previous nonsense, here's the right
stuff, with thanks to Dave Norton at PSU.

                                      ^

>Drag the console icon to the dock
>Enter Preferences and select console to have console
>     automagically come up at log in.
>
>Dave Norton dwn2@psuvm.psu.edu +

<> The incessant witless repetition of advertisers'
<> moron-fodder has become so much a part of life that if we
<> are not careful, we forget to be insulted by it.
<> -- "The Times" (London)