[comp.sys.next] Spotted Workspace ? Why?

mahesh@caradhras.cc.nd.edu (Mahesh "BigMan" Subramanya) (03/28/91)

	I really don;t know why this is happening, but it is definitely
starting to irritate me.

THE PROBLEM ->  All the windows on my workspace randomly get "spotted",
i.e., little light gray dots show up, seemingly at random, on any window
that I open,  Lately, the density has been increasing.  I replace the
entire code under /usr/lib/NextStep from the OD, but the spottiness
did not abate.  The only other data point that I have is, when I finished
level 12 under BlastApp, there was a BOOM, and the spots began.
Coincidence? or intentional (i think not).

has anyone seen this before?

Ali, did you intend this?

'Elp!!!!  I don;t want to reload the OS on me cube.

--
**************************M-V-S?? EX-TER-MI-NATE!!!*********************
Mahesh Subramanya                     INTERNET: mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu

simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) (04/03/91)

Sounds like you have memory problems.

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/04/91)

In article <5596@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) writes:
>Sounds like you have memory problems.

     And further, if you get no error messages when it happens, I'd lay
some cash down that you have non-parity memory.  And if that is indeed
the case, just how intact would be willing to bet your software and
data are by now?  To limit the damage, I would not boot the system again
until it has been fixed, if I were you.

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) (04/05/91)

In article <1991Apr3.230504.27819@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>In article <5596@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) writes:
>>Sounds like you have memory problems.
>
>     And further, if you get no error messages when it happens, I'd lay
>some cash down that you have non-parity memory.  And if that is indeed
>the case, just how intact would be willing to bet your software and
>data are by now?  To limit the damage, I would not boot the system again
>until it has been fixed, if I were you.
>

>                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG

Hey guys, if the problem was actually bad DRAM, with visible spotting
on the screen, do you think that the system would even run?  I mean,
it's kinda like executing random code hmm?

If software still runs, it sounds to me like the VRAM is shot.
After all, it is the screen that's being affected.  But I'm no
expert, only guessing like everyone else.

---
As for the latest threads about "NeXT should produce a cheaper
machine with slower CPU" I do not agree with at all.  Don't
forget how badly the 030 cube was criticized for poor perceived
performance.  The last thing NeXT needs is another target for
cheap shots from other vendors.

The RISC vs CISC debate is moot.  I think it would be a really
bad move for NeXT to abandon the 680x0 series as their
general purpose application CPU, especially after only 2 years!

Notice that I say _general purpose_.  I would certainly welcome
multiprocessor support based on other chips.  The DSP, i860 and
C-Cube are fine examples.

Personally, I would like to see NeXT offload networking support
to a dedicated CPU.  Protocol performance inside the Unix kernel
is relatively poor (that's an understatement) compared to more
special purpose implementations.

Just like their special purpose Mach and DPS implementation on
the i860, one could see a lightweight Mach and x-kernel running
TCP/IP on an 88000 based board.  Hell, even a 68020 would probably
be better than sucking cycles from the 040 at each Ethernet
interrupt.

Of course, you must add the possibility for extensibility.  Users
and third parties must be able to run their own protocol suites.
But those are details that o/s types like me love to figure out.

If NeXT did this, I would be really impressed.  Finally our machines
could reach Ethernet speeds!

Out-on-limb-statement:  Dedicated multiprocessors are the way to go.
Of course, a few 040's for general application use would also help :-)

In fact, writing the o/s for a dedicated multiprocessor FDDI board is
my thesis topic.  If anyone experienced with hardware and software
issues related to dedicated multiprocessing would like to comment,
please do!  I would love to hear how it _really_ works.

Later dudes!
...Stuart   <sritchie@cs.ubc.ca>     Wot's... uh the deal?

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.075135.23325@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:

>Personally, I would like to see NeXT offload networking support
>to a dedicated CPU.  Protocol performance inside the Unix kernel
>is relatively poor (that's an understatement) compared to more
>special purpose implementations.

I disagree with this comment.  Can you cite any references or examples
to support this?  I have not found the performance of UNIX kernel
based TCP/IP to be an issue.

>Just like their special purpose Mach and DPS implementation on
>the i860, one could see a lightweight Mach and x-kernel running
>TCP/IP on an 88000 based board.  Hell, even a 68020 would probably
>be better than sucking cycles from the 040 at each Ethernet
>interrupt.

Of course, then you have to worry about how to move the data to and from the
special purpose "network" processor to where the UNIX kernel can get at
it, and shove it into and out of socket buffers, etc.

Look real hard at what tcp_input() does in the most common case for
bulk data transfers; its not that many instructions.  The great pile
'o code that's in there is for the (relatively) unusual case where
packets get dropped, retransmissions, out of order segments, etc.  If
your network traffic begins to operate in that regime much of the
time, you can probably forget about performance and worry about what's
wrong with your network.

>If NeXT did this, I would be really impressed.  Finally our machines
>could reach Ethernet speeds!

>Out-on-limb-statement:  Dedicated multiprocessors are the way to go.
>Of course, a few 040's for general application use would also help :-)

I agree that having multiprocessors would be a good thing; I just
don't think that dedicating one for network stuff (or any other thing,
for that matter) will be any better than what you have right now.  If
you're interested in raw network performance, wouldn't you rather have
a 68040 doing the protocol processing (which really isn't that
intensive in most cases) rather than having a slower processor do part
of the work, and then having to give it to the faster processor?

Witness the utter failure of "intelligent" ethernet cards in the PC marketplace
as compared to "dumb" ethernet cards.  The performance win just isn't there.

louie

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.075135.23325@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:

   As for the latest threads about "NeXT should produce a cheaper
   machine with slower CPU" I do not agree with at all.  Don't
   forget how badly the 030 cube was criticized for poor perceived
   performance.  The last thing NeXT needs is another target for
   cheap shots from other vendors.

A NeXT with an educational discount of $2500 would definitely sell a
lot better than the current machine(not that it isn't selling well),
but NeXT would still have to deal with "but it doesn't have color."

   The RISC vs CISC debate is moot.  I think it would be a really
   bad move for NeXT to abandon the 680x0 series as their
   general purpose application CPU, especially after only 2 years!

HP will sell you a machine with a SPECmark of 54(57?) for $12,000.
Next year, the other workstation vendors will match that.  NeXT will
get left behind if they don't move to RISC.  As a friend of mine likes
to point out, NeXT has to be better than everyone else.  People will
buy from the competition just because they have always bought from the
competition.  Take Sun and Apple as to examples.

Quintessential example: I B M

   Notice that I say _general purpose_.  I would certainly welcome
   multiprocessor support based on other chips.  The DSP, i860 and
   C-Cube are fine examples.

   Out-on-limb-statement:  Dedicated multiprocessors are the way to go.
   Of course, a few 040's for general application use would also help :-)

Or one MIPS R4000.

-Mike

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.075135.23325@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:
>In article <1991Apr3.230504.27819@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>>In article <5596@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) writes:
>>>Sounds like you have memory problems.
>>
>>     And further, if you get no error messages when it happens, I'd lay
>>some cash down that you have non-parity memory.  And if that is indeed
>>  [text deleted --SJB]
>
>If software still runs, it sounds to me like the VRAM is shot.
>After all, it is the screen that's being affected.  But I'm no
>expert, only guessing like everyone else.

     Good point.  I wasn't thinking.  So, the VRAM is non-parity crap,
too, huh?  What a bummer.  Is the VRAM on a 68040 board like that, too?
I hope not because I just bought the upgrade kit a week ago (it's not
installed yet) and it will definitely ruin my day to discover that I'm
still going to have a toy computer instead of a real, production one.

tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.043551.29580@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
| In article <1991Apr5.075135.23325@cs.ubc.ca> sritchie@cs.ubc.ca (Stuart Ritchie) writes:
| >In article <1991Apr3.230504.27819@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
| >>In article <5596@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU> simsong@daily-bugle.media.mit.edu (Simson L. Garfinkel) writes:
| >If software still runs, it sounds to me like the VRAM is shot.
| >After all, it is the screen that's being affected.  But I'm no
| >expert, only guessing like everyone else.
|
|      Good point.  I wasn't thinking.  So, the VRAM is non-parity crap,
| too, huh?  What a bummer.  Is the VRAM on a 68040 board like that, too?
| I hope not because I just bought the upgrade kit a week ago (it's not
| installed yet) and it will definitely ruin my day to discover that I'm
| still going to have a toy computer instead of a real, production one.

	What a load of s..t!  Do you really believe that you have a toy
	computer just because it doesn't have parity VRAM?  How many parity
	erros have you seen recently in "production" systems that cause all
	your work to get lost when the system decided that it could no longer
	continue?  Parity RAM does nothing to a system unless it contains some
	ECC logic to correct the problem.  Parity RAM only informs the system
	that some memory has gone bad.  Would you like your NeXT to shutdown
	because you have a fault in you VRAM?  I certainly would not!!!!!

|                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
|                                   Systems Programming
|                                   Northern Illinois University
|                                   DeKalb, Illinois 60115

/*
** ============================================================================
**
**  Felix A. Lugo
**
**	E-Mail (including NeXTMail):
**			Felix_A_Lugo@ATT.COM
**			att!ihcoco!coco
**
** ============================================================================
*/

zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu (RALPH ZAZULA) (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr6.205555.21974@cbnewse.att.com>, tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes...
>In article <1991Apr6.043551.29580@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>| >If software still runs, it sounds to me like the VRAM is shot.
>| >After all, it is the screen that's being affected.  But I'm no
>| >expert, only guessing like everyone else.
>|
>|      Good point.  I wasn't thinking.  So, the VRAM is non-parity crap,
>| too, huh?  What a bummer.  Is the VRAM on a 68040 board like that, too?
>| I hope not because I just bought the upgrade kit a week ago (it's not
>| installed yet) and it will definitely ruin my day to discover that I'm
>| still going to have a toy computer instead of a real, production one.
>| >
>	What a load of s..t!  Do you really believe that you have a toy
>	computer just because it doesn't have parity VRAM?  How many parity
>	erros have you seen recently in "production" systems that cause all
>	your work to get lost when the system decided that it could no longer
>	continue?  Parity RAM does nothing to a system unless it contains some
>	ECC logic to correct the problem.  Parity RAM only informs the system
>	that some memory has gone bad.  Would you like your NeXT to shutdown
>	because you have a fault in you VRAM?  I certainly would not!!!!!

Hmm...  What happens when the parity bit goes in your parity memory?
With the odds being 1-in-9 (if you really believe that bits bite the dust
quite often) I can't see parity memory as something to put ones mind at
ease...  I also agree that the video memory isn't as critical as program/data
RAM.  An acceptable thing would be for the system to report bad VRAM at
power-up.  As for program/data RAM, there are a lot of 8-bit MAC's out there
being used for many things.  I don't see a lot of people complaining about
loss of data or poor results (eg. FermiLab, Argonne...).  I don't know what
one expects will happen to only 8-out-of-9 bits leaving parity in tact.
If you are really parinoid about memory going bad, then you should be looking
into more fault-tolerant systems.

I've also been somewhat amused to see people talking about "random cosmics"
trashing bits...  I'd be more afraid of "random criminals" or "random
power spikes" etc...  Note, however, that I haven't done the calculation
for the cross-section of a cosmic (say, muon) with the 12Meg in my cube.
I guess I'd need to know the geometry of the RAM and how much added charge
is required to change a bit...

If you disagree with any of this, it may not be what I typed... Could
have been a 1GeV u kicking through this document...

:-)

Ralph

>|                                   Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
>|                                   Systems Programming
>|                                   Northern Illinois University
>|                                   DeKalb, Illinois 60115
>
>/*
>** ============================================================================
>**
>**  Felix A. Lugo
>**
>**	E-Mail (including NeXTMail):
>**			Felix_A_Lugo@ATT.COM
>**			att!ihcoco!coco
>**
>** ============================================================================
>*/

   | Ralph Zazula                               "Computer Addict!"        |
   | University of Arizona                 ---  Department of Physics     |
   |   UAZHEP::ZAZULA                            (DecNet/HEPNet)          |
   |   zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu         (Internet)               |
   |   "You can twist perceptions, reality won't budge."  - Neil Peart    |

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr6.205555.21974@cbnewse.att.com> tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes:
>In article <1991Apr6.043551.29580@mp.cs.niu.edu> bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>| >If software still runs, it sounds to me like the VRAM is shot.
>| >   [text deleted  --SJB]
>| >
>	What a load of s..t!  Do you really believe that you have a toy
>	computer just because it doesn't have parity VRAM?  How many parity

     Well, I supposed having the *displayed image* damaged is not as
bad as having data in main memory damaged, but it *would* be irritating,
especially if it made it difficult to communicate with the software.

>	erros have you seen recently in "production" systems that cause all
>	your work to get lost when the system decided that it could no longer
>	continue?  Parity RAM does nothing to a system unless it contains some
>	ECC logic to correct the problem.  Parity RAM only informs the system

     (one more time, sigh)  First, yes, I see single-bit errors frequently
enough on equipment that is capable of detecting them.  However, even
systems that have parity, but not ECC, memory are able to make use of
the information.  For example, a data page that has not been modified
since its last pageout or a text page can be refreshed from a file or
a paging area.  In the case of a dirty data page, the kernel/supervisor
can terminate the affected program.  If the damage is in a kernel page,
then the choice of solutions can be a bit more complex, but more times
than not a well written system can make repairs and continue.  Repairs
should include, of course, marking the affected block of memory as
being unusable, so that it can't cause any more problems as long as the
system stays up and running.

>	that some memory has gone bad.  Would you like your NeXT to shutdown
>	because you have a fault in you VRAM?  I certainly would not!!!!!

     Of course not, but it would be nice to have the errors logged.
Logging the errors makes it easier to know what needs to be fixed.

In article <1991Apr6.152816.502@arizona.edu> zazula@uazhe0.physics.arizona.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr6.205555.21974@cbnewse.att.com>, tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes...
>
>Hmm...  What happens when the parity bit goes in your parity memory?

     The same thing as with any of the other bits.  You get a single-bit
error.

>With the odds being 1-in-9 (if you really believe that bits bite the dust
>quite often) I can't see parity memory as something to put ones mind at
>ease...  I also agree that the video memory isn't as critical as program/data

     Most parity, non-ECC memory is not up to detecting errors of two
or more bits in a byte.  However, most errors are single-bit errors
because only one chip is going bad, and memory that's going bad will
be likely to have single-bit errors before it starts getting multiple-bit
errors.  Then you can get it replaced.

>RAM.  An acceptable thing would be for the system to report bad VRAM at
>power-up.  As for program/data RAM, there are a lot of 8-bit MAC's out there

     I disagree.  As you know by now, many errors are intermittent,
especially when they first crop up.  A chip going bad might not make
the error, for example, when you first turn the machine on and the
chip is still cool.  Give it ten or fifteen minutes and it may have
problems.

>being used for many things.  I don't see a lot of people complaining about
>loss of data or poor results (eg. FermiLab, Argonne...).  I don't know what

     Well, maybe for word processing it isn't that important.  If they're
using it for anything more sensitive, well, ignorance is bliss, at least
for a while...  Besides, if the hardware can't tell them, how would
they even know?

>one expects will happen to only 8-out-of-9 bits leaving parity in tact.

     Well, that would be a multiple-bit (i.e. multiple chip) error.
Not much you can do about that, beyond maybe detecting a double-bit
error, but that does take considerably more costly equipment.

>If you are really parinoid about memory going bad, then you should be looking
>into more fault-tolerant systems.

     Like pee cee clones, maybe?  As overrated as they are in most
other ways, pee cees and their clones can usually at least tell you
when they've f****d up.