[comp.sys.next] man & Librarian

esteban@well.sf.ca.us (S. F. Ruhauf) (04/02/91)

hallo

	Did anybody out there install man??
	How to taech the Librarian to format the man pages?
	Here I see plain troff source files.
	(there is an ../man/manindex/.roffArgs)

	Thanks
	SfR.
--
esteban@well.sf.ca.us 			We won the war.
(415) 548-5548				I'll dump my Honda

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/02/91)

An imperfect solution to your problem:
1. (all as su)  run catman (to get formatted files)
2  rename, compress, or remove thoe old index.ixif file (dated Nov 10,
and provided courtesy of NeXT).
3. chmod -R a+w he directory ... Unix/ManPages
4. index the directory by running
ixBuild -CV -NManPages

If you're lucke you will get good index, thaough some files may appear
twice.
In my case the files from mann (containing the X11 man-pages) appear
with the underlines between the letters.
There must be better ways (on my HP-machine I ran catman, then removed
which produced compressed formatted files, and then was able to remove
the nroff sources, to save disk space; but then that is HP-UX ...).

Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Prof.) Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717;(714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (04/04/91)

In article <HARDY.91Apr1214413@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>An imperfect solution to your problem:
>1. (all as su)  run catman (to get formatted files)
>2  rename, compress, or remove thoe old index.ixif file (dated Nov 10,
>and provided courtesy of NeXT).
>3. chmod -R a+w he directory ... Unix/ManPages
>4. index the directory by running
>ixBuild -CV -NManPages

	I was able to get Librarian to re-index all the proper man pages
	without having to resort to the ixbuild command.  The problem has
	to do with the flags that are passed to ixBuild when it is run by
	librarian.  I dont remember if I changed any permissions on dirs...
	I may have run Librarian as root.  The main thing is to add or change
	the file /NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages/.index to read as
	follows:

	-fman -Nwhatis -Ncat\* -V /NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages

	This worked like a charm.

	I sure hope NeXT will fix the problems with Librarian in 2.2.  It
	makes me long for the 1.0 version.  I mean, did they *try* any
	indexing before they released it?  As you know, it wont update an
	index at all--gotta remove the old and start anew.

Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (04/04/91)

Sorry abou the typo...the file that needs to be changed/added is:

/NextLibrary/Documentation/Unix/ManPages/.index/ixBuildOptions
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/05/91)

And how should an ordinary mortal have found out that this is the NeXT
best thing to do?

Hardy
			  -------****-------

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (04/08/91)

In article <1991Apr4.142526.30411@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
>	I sure hope NeXT will fix the problems with Librarian in 2.2.  It
>	makes me long for the 1.0 version.  I mean, did they *try* any
>	indexing before they released it?  As you know, it wont update an
>	index at all--gotta remove the old and start anew.

If this is true, is there any way around it?  I use my NeXT to catalog
my record collection with Librarian.  I'd hate to have to rebuild the
entire index (close to 1000 recordings) every time I add a new one to my
collection!

I got the upgrade board and software a couple of weeks ago.  I almost did
the upgrade over the weekend.  Glad I held off.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us