[comp.sys.next] 2.0/2.1 Software Upgrade

murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (04/06/91)

A while back there was a thread on the net about ordering the 2.0 software
upgrade prior to the announcement that the 2.1 "fix" was available.  I
ordered 2.0 Extended OS on optical disk in late February.  About a week
later the upgrade notice for 2.1 was posted to the network.  At that time
I made a phone call to 1-(800)-848-NEXT and spoke with a Jeff Carlton
about which version of the OS I would receive.  I was told that it
would *probably* be 2.1.  Yesterday, 4/4/91, I received the 2.0 software.
The shipping date was 3/29/91.  Clearly enough time for someone to have
created an optical disk version.

So I am now trying to get the "official" scoop from NeXT.  I have been told
that my 2.0 license would NOT allow me to use the 2.1 software. (Thank
goodness I haven't opened the OD)  I have tried to make contact with
Patrick Wootan in NeXT's Indianapolis office.  No reply so far.  I called
NeXT and spoke with a Rebecca and was told that I couldn't copy 2.1 from
the machines in my office.  I left voice-mail with a Jeff Lewis about the
problem.  I think Jeff was in the order management office.

For those of you who ordered 2.0 and thought you might get 2.1, think again.
I am sorry if anyone who had e-mail contact with me, concerning the 2.1
ordering, went ahead and ordered.  It looks like we are getting 2.0, folks.
2.1 is available as a floppy upgrade.

Cheers,
Bill Murphy
murphy@physics.purdue.edu

In article <4854@dirac.physics.purdue.edu> murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:

>So I am now trying to get the "official" scoop from NeXT.  I have been told
>that my 2.0 license would NOT allow me to use the 2.1 software. (Thank
>goodness I haven't opened the OD)  I have tried to make contact with
>Patrick Wootan in NeXT's Indianapolis office.  No reply so far.  I called
>NeXT and spoke with a Rebecca and was told that I couldn't copy 2.1 from
>the machines in my office.  I left voice-mail with a Jeff Lewis about the
>problem.  I think Jeff was in the order management office.

This afternoon I received a call from Patrick Wootan concerning this matter.
GOOD NEWS!  This is not official NeXT policy, since I don't represent NeXT,
purchasers of 2.0 are allowed to make a copy of the 2.1 upgrade.  NeXT
must pay the licensing fees to people like SUN and Adobe for the major
revisions.  So for any integer upgrade, 1.X to 2.X, you have to buy the
upgrade.  For a point upgrade, 2.X to 2.Y, you are allowed to copy the software.

Also, the person I left voice mail with is Joe Lewis, not Jeff Lewis.

Cheers,
Bill Murphy
murphy@physics.purdue.edu

In article <4854@dirac.physics.purdue.edu>
	murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) writes:
>For those of you who ordered 2.0 and thought you might get 2.1, think again.
>I am sorry if anyone who had e-mail contact with me, concerning the 2.1
>ordering, went ahead and ordered.  It looks like we are getting 2.0, folks.

Call your sales weasel and get an RMA number.  You paid for 2.1,
you should get 2.1.  If you received 2.0, send it back UNOPENED
for replacement.

					-=EPS=-