[comp.sys.next] Apps in color

mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu (04/03/91)

I have had my colorstation for some week now, and I didn't miss my X workstation at
all. Actually I don't really want to go back anymore , but there are a few features
I would like to see on the NeXT. In the moment color support in general is a bit
lacking. Although a bunch of the newer Apps have some kind of support build in, it is
very noticeable that the color features haven't been tested thoroughly. Anyway one
of the things I would like to have in the moment is a terminal emulator in which I
could specify the color of the background, font, border etc. Does anyone know if the
source for maybe stuart or so is available so I could modify it ?  Just black and
white (or various shades of gray) get a little dull after a while.

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
No user serviceable part inside. Warranty void if opend

scott@texnext.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Apr03.112138.37367@slate.mines.colorado.edu> mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu writes:
   In the moment color support in general is a bit lacking. Although a
   bunch of the newer Apps have some kind of support build in, it is
   very noticeable that the color features haven't been tested thoroughly.
   Anyway one of the things I would like to have in the moment is a
   terminal emulator in which I could specify the color of the background,
   font, border etc. Does anyone know if the source for maybe stuart or so
   is available so I could modify it ?  Just black and white (or various
   shades of gray) get a little dull after a while.

You're about the third (or was that 30th?) person to request something
of the sort.  Since Stuart still doesn't even support modification of
the grays, this is a little ways off.  The biggest problem I see for
color support with Stuart is the apparent lack of a color machine in
my dorm room.

If anyone out there wishes to push color support in Stuart, feel free
to UPS me a colorstation.  I'd want at least 24M of RAM, and a 400M
hard disk.  PS:  Don't expect the machine back anytime soon, either :-).

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/06/91)

Scott Hess writes
> In article <1991Apr03.112138.37367@slate.mines.colorado.edu>
mfriedel@slate.mines.colorado.edu writes:
> If anyone out there wishes to push color support in Stuart, feel free
> to UPS me a colorstation.  I'd want at least 24M of RAM, and a 400M
> hard disk.  PS:  Don't expect the machine back anytime soon, either :-).

You don't really need a color machine to support color in your App.
I added color support to TouchType on a black-and-white machine, and never
even saw it in color until much later, when someone from NeXT was demoing
it and I got to watch :-)  I said something like "hey, that's pretty neat.
I've never seen it in color before."  I got a couple of strange looks.

Colors are supplied by the color panel, and they are accurate as far as
that goes.  If you see something change gray levels (on your B&W system)
when you apply a color, it's working.  There really isn't that much to it
at the interface level.  You only have to modify your data structures to
have someplace to store the color and tweak your drawing routines a little
bit, to use "setrgbcolor" or "NXSetColor()" (even better--supports all the
color models).

By the way, it is NOT a good idea to use different background colors in
a window, or to change the window border, or the color of fonts.  It is
a violation of the user interface guidelines, and not worth it.  If you
want that kind of color support, buy an Amiga :-)  Stuart is a terminal
emulator, and I can't think of a single good reason why you should be able
to change colors in a terminal emulator, other than to amuse yourself.

Color is reserved for the CONTENTS of a window, and should be used only
for things that really are colored, or for better illustration/rendering
(as in CAD or scientific visualization).  Color should not be used, in
general, for elements of the user interface. This is as it should be.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

death@public.BTR.COM (David Burrowes death@btr.com) (04/06/91)

>want that kind of color support, buy an Amiga :-)  Stuart is a terminal
>emulator, and I can't think of a single good reason why you should be able
>to change colors in a terminal emulator, other than to amuse yourself.

Let me first say that 99% of the time I agree totally.   Color tends to
be abused too much.  However, the one thing that I miss from my work
with some Xwindows systems is the ability to make the space that my text
is appearing on to be a very very light gray (my background color, if you
will).  I think the reasons for this are even justified.  Screens, even the
lovely megapixel display, have a contrast that gradually gets to be less
than pleasant when looking at gobs of unformatted text on their
white background.  By making it ever so slightly grey, I generally felt
like I was putting a wee bit less stress on my eyes.  I dont really care
if I can make my text red, or purple with black polkadots. But I get happy
when I can change the shade of the background that my text appears on.
(or, at least my eyes get happier =)

\david john burrowes
death@btr.com

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (04/07/91)

/ comp.sys.next / glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) / Apr  5, 1991 /
> Stuart is a terminal
> emulator, and I can't think of a single good reason why you should be able
> to change colors in a terminal emulator, other than to amuse yourself.

I'd leave my terminal black on white too, but I'd like to use yellow to
highlight selections.

> it is NOT a good idea to use different background colors in
> a window, or to change the window border, or the color of fonts.

Some people complain that white background hurts their eyes.  I don't think
something like black on amber would affect the appearance of the fonts too
much.  Not any more than the mediocre color convergence on the 17" non-Sony
monitors, or the lower dpi of the larger Sony monitors, I'd guess...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

rca@cs.brown.edu (Ronald C.F. Antony) (04/09/91)

In article <468@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>By the way, it is NOT a good idea to use different background colors in
>a window, or to change the window border, or the color of fonts.  It is
>a violation of the user interface guidelines, and not worth it.  If you
>want that kind of color support, buy an Amiga :-)  Stuart is a terminal
>emulator, and I can't think of a single good reason why you should be able
>to change colors in a terminal emulator, other than to amuse yourself.
>
>Color is reserved for the CONTENTS of a window, and should be used only
>for things that really are colored, or for better illustration/rendering
>(as in CAD or scientific visualization).  Color should not be used, in
>general, for elements of the user interface. This is as it should be.

The content of a terminal emulators window is the text. Even in
WriteNow I would like to change the colors of text and paper. First I
want to be able to get an impression how it would look if I printed a
letter on colored paper, second I might have a ColorPS printer and
want to output colored text, etc.

Also, some do not only want to emulate a terminals esc-sequences but
also their nice green-on-black look and feel. :-)
Seriously, if you are working many hours on text editing on a NeXT,
you sometimes wish you could give your eyes a break and look at
something else for a while than the agressive white background. I'd
often like to swich to black on light gray or maybe some unobtrusive
color (if I had a color screen).

I agree however that the GUI elements should remain uncolored, except
for icons and warning messages. (If you are about to format your
entire HD, an agressive red is not at the wrong place)

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man."   G.B. Shaw   |  rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@browncog.bitnet