[net.auto] VW Golf GTI info

btl@mtunf.UUCP (Bernie Lee) (01/07/86)

I have been looking around for a new fwd 'sporty' car and the new
VW Golf GTI looks attractive. Does anyone out in the netland
has real world experience with the car? Are there any major
changes or improvements expected in the near future? All pro and con
comments are much appreciated.

rwb@cher.UUCP (Bob Beveridge) (01/10/86)

In article <506@mtunf.UUCP> btl@mtunf.UUCP (Bernie Lee) writes:
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>I have been looking around for a new fwd 'sporty' car and the new
>VW Golf GTI looks attractive. Does anyone out in the netland
>has real world experience with the car?

I bought a '85 GTI in October of last year and I love it!
It handles great, it accelerates quite nicely, its comfortable to
sit in (even in the back seat), it even has a "trip computer" that
tells you your average speed and driving time, as well as the outside
temperature. I've been getting about 28-32 miles per gallon.

My only real complaint is that the trip computer doesn't display the
average mpg correctly; my dealer says this will be corrected "soon"...
                                         Bob Beveridge

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (01/13/86)

> I have been looking around for a new fwd 'sporty' car and the new
> VW Golf GTI looks attractive. Does anyone out in the netland
> has real world experience with the car? Are there any major
> changes or improvements expected in the near future? All pro and con
> comments are much appreciated.

I have been driving the "old" version of the GTI for the last 3 years, and
I think that it is just a great car.  Good acceleration, economy, and great
handling.  The new GTI is supposed to be as good or better.  It does improve
on one failing of the old GTI, it is a bit bigger inside and has, I think,
a nicer looking interior, though I find the styling of the old GTI a bit
superior.  As far as improvements in the near term, VW is set to introduce
a 4 valve version of the GTI engine in a year or so.  This will result in
a car with about 20-25% more power than the current model, which should make
it a rocket!  I think I'll check one of those out myself, once I've finished
the payments on my current GTI.
--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/17/86)

In article <506@mtunf.UUCP> btl@mtunf.UUCP (Bernie Lee) writes:

>I have been looking around for a new fwd 'sporty' car and the new
>VW Golf GTI looks attractive. Does anyone out in the netland
>has real world experience with the car? Are there any major
>changes or improvements expected in the near future? All pro and con
>comments are much appreciated.

We finally got our new 1986 GTI yesterday!  After looking for one for
two weeks, I think it was worth the wait.  We didn't want to wait for
a special order, and the cars are scarce.  Found it in some obscure
place though: Tornado Red with sunroof, cruise and power steering.

The 102 hp engine is excellent with great flexibility.  With less than
200 km on the car I haven't really pushed it hard yet, but it feels
great.  The power steering is really power *assisted* steering; the
feel of the road is still there, but the effort is reduced at low
speeds.  The new P600 tires stick well, and the handling is
predictable.

The car feels German (despite coming from Westmoreland) and looks
sharp.  The seats are a bit wider than in my brother's 1980 Rabbit GTI
but offer good support.  The gauges are analog, and back to the
German-style VDO design.  There is a "trip computer" that allows
cycling between oil temp, outside temp, fuel consumption, average
speed, and elapsed time and distance.  The rear wiper has an
intermittent setting (nice!) and the door chimes are not obnoxious.
We got the dealer to install the tape deck from Audi 5000 (same one
used in the 944 as well) and the sounds are good as well.

In summary, the car is everything I expected from a GTI, and even a
bit more.  Looks are subjective, but if a Golf looks OK, the GTI is
positively sharp with the red trim and the huge aero headlights.
It's even possible to get a decent discount from the dealers!

Oh, a sixteen-valve version (with 120-130 hp) will be available
sometime within the next year.  My guess would be that it'll become
available late next fall.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979