[comp.sys.next] Flame: NeXT "3 week delivery"

mrc@cac.washington.edu (Mark Crispin) (04/08/91)

To add to the list of familiar sad stories:

I called 1 (800) 848-NeXT in early February, and was quoted a 3-week
turnaround from receipt of order to shipment on NeXTstation orders.  I
didn't believe it, but I decided the time had come to order a machine.

Not having a home NeXT meant that I had to take two weeks of unplanned
vacation due to snow.  I also figured that even if NeXT went under the
machine would still be a usable Unix engine.  "Computer ownership is
not for the faint-hearted", but my keeping two operating DEC-2020
mainframes is enough proof of a steel cardium.

I placed my order through the University of Washington's campus
reseller (MAP) on February 11, and again called NeXT that day to
confirm the 3-week turnaround.

MAP sent the order to UofW Purchasing on February 12.  It took just
shy of two weeks to go through that mill; the purchase order was
issued on February 25.

So, allowing a week for mailing delays, I should have received my
system sometime during the week of March 25.

Not surprisingly, it didn't show up.

I called 1 (800) 848-NeXT and asked if they could give me a time
estimate.  They insisted that "three-weeks" was the current
turnaround.  It took some amount of arguing before they would even
that yes, indeed, they had received the purchase order.

But no, they would tell me nothing more about my order.  Not when they
received it.  Not when the scheduled ship date was.  The excuse given
was "the campus resellers have requested that we not give that
information to their customers, you must have them request it."

I told MAP about this.  They were very amused, since they had never
asked NeXT to stonewall customers.  MAP was not as amused when NeXT
refused to give *them* any information about my order or any of their
other orders which have been pending since December.

MAP ended up having to threaten our local NeXT representative before
finally NeXT gave an answer: my system will be shipped "in three
weeks", and that the delay is due to not getting 68040's from
Motorola.

This promise is for delivery sometime during the week of April 22.
I don't believe it.

NeXT's has made extravagant promises which they could not keep.  Now
they are renewing the same unrealistic promise.  I would not be at all
surprised if I am told "three weeks" again on April 22.  After all, I
haven't waited > 6 months as some people have.

For all I know potential customers are still being told "three weeks."

Fortunately, I am still more amused than angry at this point; I still
expect to get my machine eventually.  However, NeXT has lost a great
deal of credibility with me.  This process started when they made
their first unrealistic delivery promise.  Their evasiveness once the
system was overdue was a major blunder.  How dare they not tell
customers about supply problems!

What else are they not telling us?  Could the glowing press releases
be a smokescreen to cover serious financial problems?  [A worst case
scenario, but not unheard-of in the cut-throat field of computing.]

In the past, I advised caution and careful consideration before buying
a NeXT.  That advice still holds.

eboltz@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Eric Scott Boltz) (04/08/91)

Hi,
I really do sympathize with all those who are having trouble getting
their hardware from NeXT. I would like to point out a couple things
though.

1) Some edu resellers DO NOT place your order when they get it. U of MD,
for instance will sit on orders until they reach some predetermined
number which lowers their cost per unit from NeXT.

2) Three to four weeks was the quote on my 040 upgrade from NeXT. It
took only two and a half weeks.

I have found that most of my problems arise in the school dealer-to-NeXT
area. Whenever I have dealt directly with NeXT they have bent over
backwards for us. Maybe we have a more dedicated rep., or maybe it's
because Hopkins doesn't have their own reseller. Who knows.

Eric

ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) (04/08/91)

mrc@cac.washington.edu (Mark Crispin) writes:

>To add to the list of familiar sad stories:
[Sad story about NeXT not being able to deliver in 3 weeks deleted]

Dissenting experience:
On 3/15 I and my girlfriend ordered the 68040 upgrade board as well as
the Software Release Upgrade (on OD).  We were told to expect it to
take 8 to 10 weeks to get the stuff.  Well, last Friday her Campus
Computer Store called her and told her they had received the stuff we
ordered and would she kindly come there with a check?

So, there ARE people who get their stuff in 3 weeks.  Happy us.
--
Fredrik Nyman - Politically Chaotic and Proud.  Internet: <ice@wang.com>
Global Adaptation Center, Wang, M/S 019-490,    NeXT: <ice@red-zinger.wang.com>

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (04/09/91)

In article <b3khvg.fru@wang.com>, ice@wang.com (Fredrik Nyman) writes...
>mrc@cac.washington.edu (Mark Crispin) writes:
>

>>To add to the list of familiar sad stories:
>[Sad story about NeXT not being able to deliver in 3 weeks deleted]
>
>Dissenting experience:
>On 3/15 I and my girlfriend ordered the 68040 upgrade board as well as
>the Software Release Upgrade (on OD).  We were told to expect it to
>take 8 to 10 weeks to get the stuff.  Well, last Friday her Campus
>Computer Store called her and told her they had received the stuff we
>ordered and would she kindly come there with a check?
>
>So, there ARE people who get their stuff in 3 weeks.  Happy us.
>--

Yes, be happy!  I had ordered my upgrade '040/2.0 back on Oct. 4,
1990.  After some investigative prodding by my Regional Mgr., it
was finally shipped March 13, 1990, and I finally received it on
March 20, 1991 (it first had to go to U. of Alaska, Anchorage,
who then shipped it down to me).  Some of you guys worry about
shipping in 3 weeks...I waited 5 1/2 months!

John

>Fredrik Nyman - Politically Chaotic and Proud.  Internet: <ice@wang.com>
>Global Adaptation Center, Wang, M/S 019-490,    NeXT: <ice@red-zinger.wang.com>
>One Industrial Ave., Lowell MA 01851, USA       BITNET: <ice@drycas>
--

John Stannard
ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA

"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"

--

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr8.034045.19207@milton.u.washington.edu> mrc@cac.washington.edu (Mark Crispin) writes:

>I called 1 (800) 848-NeXT in early February, and was quoted a 3-week
>turnaround from receipt of order to shipment on NeXTstation orders.  I
>didn't believe it, but I decided the time had come to order a machine.
>
>Not surprisingly, it didn't show up.
>
>I called 1 (800) 848-NeXT and asked if they could give me a time
>estimate.  They insisted that "three-weeks" was the current
>turnaround.  It took some amount of arguing before they would even
>that yes, indeed, they had received the purchase order.

This is not unique to NeXT.  I had a similar experience with a Theta
Digitial DS-Pre.  Theta is upgrading to the MOT DSP chip.  I heard about
this last Summer and I called them.  They took my name and said they
would contact me in about two weeks so they could minimize the
turnaround time -- excellent!  However, they didn't call.

I called them about once a month.  Every time I got the same two week
story.  (Sounds like "The Money Pit").  Finally, in January, I asked, do
you really mean two weeks or has somebody told you to tell that to
everybody?  The women on the phone got very insulted and said she did
the scheduling and it would be two weeks.  Well, it wasn't.

I finally heard from them just before Easter.  Cautiously I asked, how
long until I get it back.  Ten days, I was told.  Ha!  I FedExed the
unit on 3/22.  They should have got it 3/26.  It's due back today.
We'll see.

I think the problem is at Motorola.  For whatever reason they aren't
getting the chips out the door and everything down stream is backing up.
I wonder how Cincinatti Microwave is doing getting chips for the new
Escort.  They probably need more than NeXT and Theta combined.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA        rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us         412-471-5320
venetia@investor.pgh.pa.us [NeXT Mail]     ...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp [UUCP]

raymond@grumpy.cs.unc.edu (Will Raymond) (04/09/91)

 Just another data point:

	Ordered '30 Cube '40 upgrade Nov.17, 1990
	Recevd Cube and PLI Floppy Drive Dec. 15, 1990
	Recevd Upgrade Jan. 16, 1991 ( Oh what a day - a war and an upgrade )

	As of today, Apr. 9, I have not recevd Improv, Frame Upgrade,
	Goodies,etc.

	I'm fairly pleased with my cube - I'm slightly disappointed with
	the NeXT Dimension pricing/delivery - I bought the cube almost
	entirely because of the NeXT Dim. availability.

	As far as improved speeds:

	There was a noticeable improvement between 1.0 & 2.0.
	There was a 2-3 times improvement upgrading to 16 megs.
	There was an additional 4-5 times improvement with '40.

 Hope this encourages all you whom are waiting.

 Will

    *******       Will Raymond - Northern Telecom NTP in RTP
   . O   o .      Work: ...uucp!rti!ntpdvp1!willr
|     .V.     |   Fun:  ...uucp!cs.unc.edu!raymond
     ._ _.