[comp.sys.next] Free Floppy Drive For Cube Owners?

ph600fbj@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (james dehnert) (04/09/91)

In article <469@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
(Glenn Reid) writes:

> I just got a card in the mail from NeXT that says the following:
>
> "We've reserved a PLI SuperFloppy 2.8 disk drive for you--the
perfect
> complement to your new NeXT computer.  Free.  It's our way of
saying
> thanks, and welcoming you to the NeXT Generation.

stuff deleted

> It looks like they're ready to ship floppy drives to cube owners
who
> ordered the '040 upgrade.  Very nice.  And a nice gesture to have
> NeXTconnection ship it (they ship things in a hurry).
>
> I presume that lots of other people got one of these cards, too.

  Has any one else got a card yet?  I'm curious as to who else is
getting them.  I hope everybody is, and being a poor student I hope
I am!!

  Please let me know if you have been sent a card.

  Thanks,
        Zeke

dpaulso@k30b.nswc.navy.mil (ef80) (04/09/91)

In article <18106@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ph600fbj@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (james dehnert) writes:
>In article <469@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
>(Glenn Reid) writes:
>>
>> [Glenn received a postcard notifying him of the impending
>>  delivery of a free floppy drive]

>  Has any one else got a card yet?  I'm curious as to who else is
>getting them.  I hope everybody is, and being a poor student I hope
>I am!!

According to Trish at 1-800-848-NeXT, this offer is limited to those
people who bought '30 cubes in November and December of last year.
As part of a special promotion, these buyers are entitled to a '40
upgrade and a PLI floppy drive.

Rats.

/dave

--
Dave Paulson            dpaulso@relay.nswc.navy.mil (work)
Synetics/NAVSWC         talos!SandBox!dave@uunet.uu.net (home,NeXTmail)

kenn@Apple.COM (Kenn Walker) (04/09/91)

In article <18106@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> ph600fbj@sdcc14.ucsd.edu (james dehnert) writes:
>In article <469@heaven.woodside.ca.us>, glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us
>(Glenn Reid) writes:
>>
>> I just got a card in the mail from NeXT that says the following:
>>
>> "We've reserved a PLI SuperFloppy 2.8 disk drive for you--the
>perfect
>> complement to your new NeXT computer.  Free.  It's our way of
>saying
>> thanks, and welcoming you to the NeXT Generation.
>>
>stuff deleted
>>
>> It looks like they're ready to ship floppy drives to cube owners
>who
>> ordered the '040 upgrade.  Very nice.  And a nice gesture to have
>> NeXTconnection ship it (they ship things in a hurry).
>>
>> I presume that lots of other people got one of these cards, too.
>
>  Has any one else got a card yet?  I'm curious as to who else is
>getting them.  I hope everybody is, and being a poor student I hope
>I am!!
>
>  Please let me know if you have been sent a card.
>
>  Thanks,
>        Zeke

I haven't gotten anything of the like from NeXT, and in fact when I
bitterly complained to them about their silly policy of shipping my
upgrade to Mathematica, SYBASE, and LISP on floppy as opposed to OD (which
is all I have as original cube owner), all they said was "Sorry, please
talk to your sales representative and see if they can move it the OD for
you."

That's a pretty poor answer. I guess it was a little much to expect
reasonable support for upgrades to the original cube when the slabs came
out....

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't turn blue from holding my breath.

     kenn
--
"How can my employer be responsible for what I say, when he can't
understand me in the first place???" (i.e. Standard Disclaimer)

nwc@galileo.shearson.com (Nick Christopher) (04/10/91)

I heard the free floppy came with the "Bundled upgrade" given to
developers....

--
 \n
 	Nicholas Christopher (212) 464-3837

dpaulso@k30b.nswc.navy.mil (ef80) (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr9.134023.5088@relay.nswc.navy.mil> I wrote:
>According to Trish at 1-800-848-NeXT, this offer is limited to those
>people who bought '30 cubes in November and December of last year.
>As part of a special promotion, these buyers are entitled to a '40
>upgrade and a PLI floppy drive.

Just so there is no confusion about this, I'd like to reiterate the
part about this having been a *special promotion*: the extras mentioned
here are available ONLY to people who purchased one of a limited
number of cubes, who paid a special price, and agreed to various other
restrictions. In particular, no Businessland cubes were included in
the promotion.

Please do not inundate NeXT with requests for free floppy drives.

/dave